Jockey Journal Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ok ok When I got my bike it had this bell hanging off the bottom behind the front tire? I was stumped and figured the guy had a cat and put it on there for the cat while the bike was parked hahahahaha I removed it. Yesterday I was in Circle K..kinda like a 7/11 and in there "biker section" hahah they had a biker bell??? OMG whats this? I read the package and its for keeping the bad spirits away??
Whats the story guys?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Draglinkscc said:
Ok ok ok When I got my bike it had this bell hanging off the bottom behind the front tire? I was stumped and figured the guy had a cat and put it on there for the cat while the bike was parked hahahahaha I removed it. Yesterday I was in Circle K..kinda like a 7/11 and in there "biker section" hahah they had a biker bell??? OMG whats this? I read the package and its for keeping the bad spirits away??
Whats the story guys?
supposed to keep "road gremlins" away and must be given to you, ya can't buy it for yourself.

so the story goes....

i figger it can't hurt just don't tie it to the brake lines on an e-glide.
dents the fender:(

don't ask...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I didn't know about it either, then when I started to build my bike my mom gave me an old brass bell. It's as small as a "biker bell" but she's had it for 20 years or so. When I heard the old superstition I put it on, just in case ;)

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I never saw bells on bikes in this part of the county until the 90's, then they showed up in the Harley dealership for about $20.00 a piece. I figured it was a pretty good marketing scheme. I still don't have one on any of my bikes, turned one down that a buddy of mine tried to give me. I figure if there are road gremlins, they might be pushing my bike on down the road.
Larry T

·
Registered
485 Posts
I guess I got to get one of these for a guy at work. He's been riding a POS cb650 for about 4 years, but about 2 months ago he bought him a new shadow. He's been hit once on it coming out of our work parking lot. And last night he almost got taken out by a car that was skidding out of control on the freeway. He's definatly picked up some gremlins somewhere... I better go pick one up for him before the gremlins get him. LOL.

Yesterday I was in Circle K..kinda like a 7/11 and in there "biker section" hahah
Hahahahaha Conveniance store biker section.... is that kinda like a drug store cowboy?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Like I said in my earlier post, I know when the bells started showing up around here. So, can anyone tell me when and where this tradition started?
Larry T

·
Registered
798 Posts
I thought it was from an urban legend, from the 60's. "everytime the bell rings, a Hell's Angel get his wings".. or something rather.

·
Registered
391 Posts
i have had mine for nearly 20 years now. been on about 15 h-d's so far. i have heard them refered to as "fresno bells" on numerous occasions. in the old days we would pass out drunk leaning against, next to, or on top of our bikes. the bell would ring if someone was fucking with your sled. the other version is the good luck charm to keep the road gremlins at bay.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
knucklehead said:
i have had mine for nearly 20 years now. been on about 15 h-d's so far. i have heard them refered to as "fresno bells" on numerous occasions. in the old days we would pass out drunk leaning against, next to, or on top of our bikes. the bell would ring if someone was fucking with your sled. the other version is the good luck charm to keep the road gremlins at bay.
Thanks Tim,
Sounds logical to me, musta started as a left coast deal.
Larry T

·
Registered
117 Posts
I did se the bell first in a Street Chopper magazine back in the 70-ies
It was an artickle about tree bikes from Denver Choppers. Probebly one own by Lil' Freddie Hernandez.The bells was called Fesno bells.I will check and see if i can find the magazine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.