Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my 77 Ironhead, I was riding one morning to work and it was super foggy, got a little wet on the ride, when I get to work I go to shut off the bike and the key only kills all the lights but the bike is still running, so I have to dump the clutch to kill it. I figured it was an easy fix and replaced the ignition, but that didn't do it either same thing. Replaced a couple wires that were a little toasty looking, still didn't do it. I have a shop book, but my bike is no where near stock wiring so I'm at a loss, I think it might be a ground somewhere, but I just can't figure it out. Any ideas on what is going on? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Can you kick start it from cold with the keys off? If not it's probably not a wiring problem.

What I am thinking is that you timing is way off and its over running.

Cheers Dan.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dan Boy, Its electric, not a kicker, if I shut off the key it will keep running, I could keep riding it with the all the electric off. Sugar would the voltage regulator keep it running with the key off?

·
Registered
992 Posts
"have a shop book, but my bike is no where near stock wiring"[/QUOTE]

joeshovel = starter solenoid or relay
sounds like an arc somewhere has set permanent circuit.
you have to follow the wiring from coil to points and coil to battery which should have a break ,as in a switch.
the previous guy may have copied a circ diagram form another model year and been creative.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Shut bike off at key switch, and test for voltage at the coil. If it is still keeping voltage, chase the wire and see if it is hooked wrong at the key switch, or maybe ran somewhere else, that is continuiously feeding the coil with power.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.