Jockey Journal Forum banner
41 - 60 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Re: Homemade Motorcycle Lift

check out direct lift...for the price they cant be beat..not much more than the harbor freight and way better
you can not build one yourself at the current price of steel,unless you steal it,for less than buying new

·
Registered
8 Posts

Well, I was planning on stealing all my materials, but fuck it. I'll just buy one. You guys are no fun...

·
Registered
1,936 Posts

I believe the key word here would be "lift".
So use a block and tackle. Also from HF for around 60 bones. Straps, $20.00, wood stolen from local rich guys new house under construction, free. Total, $80.00. :D

Ya, Im kidding about the wood thing.......

·
Registered
116 Posts

Hunk of 1 1/8" plywood on Grandama Ruby's old hospital bed.
=============================================

·
Registered
110 Posts

Dude just bought another HF one on sale for $300
Love them.
only thing i dont like about them is when im sitting on a stool wrenching and my foot hits the "down" pedal it scares the shit outta me every time. but my dumbass never takes the pedal off. luckily i am smart enough to put the safety pin in.
Just buy the HF one. You wont regret it

·
Registered
187 Posts

I got one of the HF ones on sale plus they had a 20% off coupon in their monthly flyer. I think I ended up getting it for about $240 a couple of years ago. They still have those coupons about every other month but they've only been 15% lately, it still helps out on a $300 item. Nice lift for the money. The wheel vice sucks though so that would be a good part to make if you feel the need to fabricate something.
________
California mdecial marijuana dispensaries

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

I found a Direct Lift that was 6 months old, and the guy only used it to polish his dresser bike. $400

It's an import, but a heck of a lot better than the Harbor Flake version.

I can't afford a Handy Industries lift, but they are by far the best you can get.

I've occasionally seen ridiculous deals on them with "pick-up only" directions in the ad or auction.

·
Registered
46 Posts

I built one. Not as fancy as the ones you buy ut it works fine. I had some scrap unistrut laying around that I built a perimeter out of. 16"x80". I ran more unistrut cross braces through the middle. I skinned it with 14ga sheetmetal ($80 for a 4x8 that I also used to build a welding table and top of another table) I built the legs from 1x1 square tubing. The fronts are stationary. THe rear legs pivot at the top and fold under the stand so that the rear end of the table drops down to the floor. You have to use a jack to lift the table back up with a bike on it, but I use my ramp most of the time. The table is only about 20" tall, but I like to sit on my chair and roll around the bikes while working on them. I made a front tire chock from some angle. I just strap the bike down for now, but I'm planning to build a front tire clamp/chock for it so I don't drop the bike while trying to strap it by myself. It's nice because it serves as a bench to sit on when I have people over, and right now the body of my Model T is sitting on it. I built it for about $30 worth of metal and about 4 hours to weld it all up.

Here's a pic of it with a customers XS650 on it.

And you can see the XS on the ground and the CB cafe on the table...

·
Registered
674 Posts

i got the one from harbor freight and really like it, the only thing i didnt like was the front wheel chaulk do they come w/ different chaulks? but sure beats the hell of of doing everything on the ground! JQ

·
Registered
674 Posts

heres a pic of my h.f. lift, u can see the wheel chalk is cheezy do they have different chalks for these lifts?

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts

yeah i have the harbor freight one, get one of there coupons they send with the catalogs and you can get it for 189 on sale, best buy i ever got from them, no problems with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I saw something like this in an old magazine. When you push your bike up on to the lifter, the barrel rolls to the other end. Dude that made it said it worked great. Have to use your imagination from my drawing.

Billy

·
Registered
102 Posts

I saw something like this in an old magazine. When you push your bike up on to the lifter, the barrel rolls to the other end. Dude that made it said it worked great. Have to use your imagination from my drawing.

Billy

Im afraid the motorcycle might end up looking like the one in the pic if you tried that...

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

Thats a good idea, I need to build one soon, I have an industrial racking system that I want to mount one side to. Ill post some pics when I get working on it.

Billy

·
Registered
480 Posts
Get off the floor

there was a post awhile back asking for a cheap lift. Well, here you go. The perfect addition to any garage or living room. I've been using one of these for years, so yes its sturdy enough to stand and kick a bike on. I'm about 200lbs and I can get a 3-4 hundred lb bike on ther myself, but it helps to have the old lady on hand in case

41 - 60 of 130 Posts