Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do You Build On A Lift/Table Or On The Floor?

Wondering how many guys use a lift or homemade table and how many build on the floor. I will be stuck on the floor because of space but I'm just wonderin' what you prefer?

Nappy, we know you build on the floor.;)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Re: Do You Build On A Lift/Table Or On The Floor?

BrianPettit said:
Wondering how many guys use a lift or homemade table and how many build on the floor. I will be stuck on the floor because of space but I'm just wonderin' what you prefer?

Nappy, we know you build on the floor.;)
At 53 I'm most likely older than the average member on this board. I bought a Handy table lift for Christmas this past year and I am so glad I did. I service all my own stuff and have a few bikes and this has been a perfect solution. The payback has already been achieved during the service of my Ducati it was a breeze with the bike 's valves at eye level and that alone saved me about $700 bucks at the ducati store for a 12000 mile service. Working on the old stuff is so much better as well, I can actually work on the bikes for hours without my back killing me from bending over. But, as I said I'm old and I spent years working without one but now no way I put the bike on it even for an oil change.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Re: Do You Build On A Lift/Table Or On The Floor?

i like a table. i have used an old steel deskwith casters welded to the legs to build some bikes. it worked out great with the drawers . i welded a couple of bars across the chair opening to store parts for the build.just need a good beam above it to lift the bike off with a comealong when it gets too heavy to lift

other bikes i have used a tool cart for some of the build up when my lift was being used for a bigger job.

some times building on the ground is easyer cause you can see how it looks but will kill your back with all the bending.

·
Registered
391 Posts
if i am doing a frame up build i use rolling dollies. i use my bike lift to raise it then roll the dollie in place & bolt the frame down. they have handy trays for small part storage (or catching drips) on the bottom since i am slow with my bike building. the problem as i see it with a table lift is that they are always in the way. on my dollies you just roll the project into the back shop area when not being worked on.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
baytowngreaser said:
This is a table that a friend and I constructed in about 45 min. It was quick, easy and very economical to build.
God, why can't I have a shop like that. You could do half court basketball in there. I hate my little one car garage.:(

knucklehead; Do you have any pics of the dollies you use or a brand name?

·
Registered
377 Posts
BrianPettit said:
God, why can't I have a shop like that. You could do half court basketball in there. I hate my little one car garage.:(
QUOTE]

Don't feel bad, eddie lives way out in the sticks so he an have that nice big shop. Just him and the coyotes. Poor bastard.

-john

p.s. I use a little metal table, made out of scap tubing, my welder is uderneath it on a shelf, and I have a little vise on there to cut and grind parts right there. Instead of walking back and forth.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Baytowngreaser, I got that same Weesner poster hanging im my garage!

Not that you care.... I was just saying....

Want to go to the Red lobster some time???

·
Registered
391 Posts
BrianPettit said:

knucklehead; Do you have any pics of the dollies you use or a brand name?
i was too cheap to buy them so i built 3 myself. got bored & tig'ed them up. should have powder coated them, but the wife brush painted them & they look pretty good. really should have built 4 since i still have 1 frame laying around waiting for a dollie ride, but my quickie pan lower end rebuild is turning into a multi year full on rebuild/ semi-restoration. i took some other pics, but they are still in the camera, ill post them tomorrow for you, you can sorta see the pan on a dollie behind the hemi.

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Don't feel bad, eddie lives way out in the sticks so he an have that nice big shop. Just him and the coyotes. Poor bastard.

-john

Ahh, you get used to it, the coyotes that is!!

Anthem, that's cool. I met and even drank a beer with Keith Weesner @ the 2004 Lone Star Round-Up. Keith is a nice guy and an awesome artist.

-Eddie

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am using a Handy lift and it is so great to have. I would highly recommend one for everything from major repairs to service or just cleaning your bike....

·
Registered
968 Posts
Harbor freight basic table lift.. was on sale around $300 got got there and it was even cheaper than the flyer price and had a free warrenty..so I spent the rest on more stuff..I use it for big twins and my Triumphs...works great,,foot pump no air,,fine if your not running a shop were you lift 4-5 bikes a day..best thing I have in the shop..don"t know how I got buy without it..buy one.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I've been working on bikes for years on the floor, now I have hydraulic work bench and I really don't know how or why I managed without one. Easy to get the bike on and off and easy to get the working height right.

Also if I need to remove the front or rear wheels I jack the table up, attach a strap from the roof timbers to the bike (front or rear) and lower the table, it work a treat!

Cheers Dan

·
Registered
195 Posts
The harbor freight lift is great. has all the basic need covered. Here in omaha it seem like they go on sale about every 6 weeks or so. Just keep eye out and grab one on sale.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts