Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
My buddy Charlie has done this with two of his Indians. Used to ride with him alot. Can't tell you any particulars, other than it worked. I guess it was cheaper than getting an original gennie.

·
Banned
700 Posts
TheAppleKnocker!

I have no experience with the SIE, or Bosch generators upon H-Ds, but I do remember the VW generators upon Indians.

There was a time when OEM replacements for Indian was a problem, although that's been cured in modern times ([email protected]).

A Bosch might as well be as rare as an Autolite, as the 'big box' auto parts retailers could only deliver me double-ended Microbus units, and they were dead in the box anyway.
That was nearly a decade ago.

So Indians have to be done right, or it is too damn expensive.
You can do anything you like with a harley of course.

But I hope you didn't spend much.

....Cotten

·
Registered
947 Posts
I ran one on a 45 back in the early 80s. The VW generator was better then the old 3 brush. New VW generators were also easier to find. If I remember correctly I had to run the VW regulator. My adapter was made by Cycle Specialties in Cleveland.
Hank

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I worked in an auto salvage yard in the 70's and 80's and you could walk in and grab dozens of VW generators for 20 bucks a piece. Cheap and easy to find and they worked well. The Bosch regulator is one of my favorites.

·
Registered
149 Posts
1967 is the split year for VW pre and some 67's are 6 volt. After 67 12 volt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.