Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can it be done? have a chance to score some invader mags off of a sportster for cheap and I want to put them on my pan chop.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Use a Sportster drum assembly.. has been done many times.. of course you need to play with the backing plate (and lever) position a bit, but it can be done, yes..

(Have a few pics, but can't find them right now..will post later if they show up..)

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
^^ Yes, no juice..

From '52 to '74 rod operated..
From '75 to '78 cable operated..

(ps: '73-'74 backing plate had a larger pivot hole)

·
Registered
665 Posts
An Early Sportster 'right side drum' turns clockwise while your shoes are fixed, I always filed a slight slope on the leading edge, now your left side Big Twin would be left side, wheel turns CCW looking at your drum so you would file the edge of the opposite side of the leading edge, also be aware that if you use a Sportster Backing plate and a Sportster riveted Drum you need to make sure that the spacing is correct, after all the backing plate is like a spacer, if not correct your backing plate edge comes in contact with the heads of the sprocket rivets, guess what happens then! J&P sell the thin spacer shims that go on the face of the bearing race to space out the backing plate their part number 200-934
another no no, the OEM drum is Cast, the sprocket is steel and cannot be welded at 4 points like we all tried for years, proper riviting by a Mech that Knows is the way to go
'Half the Weight if you do go Sportster Mechanical over Juice'

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I believe he wants to run the complete juice brake set up on a Sportster wheel, and NOT the Sporty mechanical brake on a big twin. The basic Sporty wheel looks almost identical to the mid-star, except the bearing retainer threads the opposite way (reverse threads on the BT wheel) and some extra flange holes. I wanted to try the same thing, but I sold my Sportster wheel before I could achieve joy, and I'm not very good at multi-tasking.

This would be a quick and easy way to get an 18" rear wheel on a rear juice brake wheel, instead of spoking a freakydeaky mid star hub with a Sporty hoop.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Just got me curious....what would it take to run a juice setup on my Mechanical brake Sportster ?
Atleast half a bottle of JD!
Why would anyone want to double the weight to a Sportster Brake when either Juice or Mech Rear brakes would still suck either way? but who am I to say... I'd invest money on a Front Brake and keep the back Simple..

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
Sportster hub has eight mounting holes for the drum. Big Twin has ten, five tapered and five for the dowel pins. There is not enough meat between them to make a set of matching holes work without adapter plates, etc. Plus the width of the hub comes into play as well as the width of the drum. The wider drum on the BT will make the Sporty hub have to be spaced over further. No big deal on a spoke rim which can be offset laced, but impossible to center on a cast wheel.
My opinion is you would be pissing in the wind trying to adapt the juice set-up...
Robbie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.