Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a front wheel that came off of a 67 shovel. I want to see if this will fit my current front drum brake assembly on my panhead. i understand that I may need a different axle, spacer ect since the hubs are different. Is there anything else that I might need.

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
933 Posts
If you have only a complete 67-72 wheel, but a complete 48-66 front end, you need:
Axle
Sleeve
drum
1 bearing for the drum
Probably the center spacer for the wheel (unless u have it loose with your wheel)

later shovels had brake on right but it won't matter for what u want to do. Only the sliders and backing plate were diff.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
check for left- or right side drum mounting on fork lowers. Early shovels had the drum on the right if I'm not mistaken
The earliest shovels, '66-'68 had the drums on the left side. '69 was the first year for the right side drum.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the good info on this. I will do some more research and see what i can come up with parts. Thanks, for everyones help on this.

Tom

·
Registered
149 Posts
not trying to jump in and steal what you got going here,i have a question and this seemed like the perfect time to ask,i got a 16" spoked wheel in great condition was told it was a 66 the drum is on the left,wondering about what a close guess of value would be.thanks for any input

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
Sorry Diablo,
Didn't mean to slam you.
But this thread is about Hydra-Glide drums. So yes, BT springer drums and WLC are the same( so are Servi-Car mechanical rear and sidecar). But none of them fit Hydra-glide brakes of any year!
Robbie

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My panhead is a conglomeration of parts. 1960 motor, 57 straightleg frame, and a hydraglide front end. The front rim was off of a 66-67 shovelhead. The front brake assembly however is a stock panhead. I wasn't sure if the drum and some of the hardware were compatable with the hub. But it sounds as though i got a few choices. What i may opt doing is to can the shovel wheel and go with an early star hub set up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts