Jockey Journal Forum banner

Big Fat Wide Rear Tires

9K views 54 replies 39 participants last post by  Pete Henry 91n 
#1 ·
I personally do not like Super Huge rear tires and with the big tire craze I wonder how other motorcyclist feel? I think they make everything look out of proportion .I guess they would be fine on straight highways. .
But what about winding roads?
Fred

#4 ·
I like em, but I like 150's also. IMO they dont handle badly, just differently, if that makes sense? Ive used 300's for customers, but not over 250 for me. :D

#5 ·
its a matter of persanal taste. or lack of. i think its drivin by the rubs overpowering need to one -up each other. i have heard they handle like crap and i have heard they handle shweeeet. i cant say, never ridden anything bigger than a 200mm( wich is skinny nowadays) iv looked at the things and cant really see that they have much more contact patch than a 150. and all that shit must wiegh more. so its all show and no go. i can do without fake shit on a bike. but again its the eye of the beholder. INDIAN LARRY built the best bikes ever and never had to go super phat to look good. and chopper daves cover bike on the horse is the fuckin shiz-nit! and its runnin skinny. coarse those are bobbers and thats the style. skinny. fug-it. it depends on the bike. but i do know the world really dont need a 380mm chopper tire. we should get a pool going to see where it ends. when thae fad ends . im gonna say 580mm the motor will have to be so offset it will mount beside ya in a sidecar.

#8 ·
Tony Bones said:
I like people who work on and ride motorcycles. The more you work on and ride it, the less I give two fucks about how wide your fucking dumb rear tire is.
Word !....but,....I noticed that the "250 to 360" guys are not Freaks, Enthusiasts, Old timers or Lovers, but thats ok,... they just go for the "looks" and don't have any idea what the bar & shield is all about...but still..., that's ok, if they don't interfere in our ideas..and to be honnest...I just build (almost...) whatever they want.....

...NOT !!!!:D

#9 ·
;) Here I thought the rubs knew exactly what the bar and shield stands for today... $$$. HAHA, sorry, couldnt resist

#10 ·
I don't like fat tire bikes. They are definitely not my thing, although in many cases, it's not the RUBs who are buying and riding them. I've got some buddies who ride fat tire bikes and they are the real deal. I'm helping a guy build a fat tire bike in his garage around the corner from me. He's got the same passion and love for his bike that the guys on this board exhibit. He gets a bone on just thinking about his bike and likes nothing better saying "Yeah, I'm buildin' it." He acts like that is the only way a motorcycle ever comes into being. And its a fat tire bike (280.) I don't like it and he knows it, but I help him because we're tight - old riding buddies. Course he's not real fond of my ride, either. It's a safe bet that not a lot of the guys on this forum would care too much for my current ride, but, no disrespect, I don't care. FTW. Ride what you like.

#13 · (Edited)
Dr. Jett said:
I dare any fat-tire fuck to say THIS is not the definition of a chopper:

That is a chopper rear allright..no shit !! (Although, not on a 3.5" rim...?? must be a 4", that's for sure..?!!:D ) Here's my buddy's 250..don't blame me, I didn't build it !!

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
That bike fits my definition of a chopper. I also say that in spite of any "fat-tire fuck"'s opinion of that bike, he would be a spineless bitch if he didn't step up to your challenge.

#15 ·
Looks awesome to me.

Am I fat tire fuck since I dont dislike them?

#16 ·
Danny F. said:
Word !....but,....I noticed that the "250 to 360" guys are not Freaks, Enthusiasts, Old timers or Lovers, but thats ok,... they just go for the "looks" and don't have any idea what the bar & shield is all about...but still..., that's ok, if they don't interfere in our ideas..and to be honnest...I just build (almost...) whatever they want.....

...NOT !!!!:D
Isaw one of your motorcycles on another site not to long ago and I thought it was great.It was a black sportster with yellow flames and a jocky shift. What size tires did it have and do you have any pictures of it.
Thanks Fred

#17 ·
I don't really care for wide tires all that much. It really depends on the bike. Some bikes got em and they can get away with em. I've seen a few around town that got em and just look plain gay. Some of the exile bikes don't look bad with wide wheels. I prefer the older school look myself. I like kustom bikes as long as it was built, not manufactured.

#18 · (Edited)
Hi Dudes,
This is The Fat Old Baron here From The Good Old Land of The limey's, I'm Fat and Old Skool! So Every thing Around me Has To be Skinney,"Including Von Beatnik My Old Lady"
We Only Dig 2.75-300x21's-20"., 400x18-500x16 Tyres,Bannana Tank's ,Peanut Tank's,Axed Mustang tank's,Bates seats-Including Desert Style,
Skinney Ribbed Wassell Fenders,+plenty "o" horses!".
.She ,Her in doors calls em Spikey bikes". Spikey Bikes Rule!
She love's the Super Freak,That Bike is Kool!.

Long Live The Skinney -Spikey-And Quick Old Skool Shit.

Lots O Luv The Baron.

#20 ·
i work with a guy who has a sportster he wants to put a 250 on the back, hes just about the look nothing else, ive been trying to talk him outta it but hes content on gettin it on, but then again this is a guy who pays to have his bike detailed for him, and brags about it....

#23 · (Edited)
ok everyone is going to bash the fat tire crowd. but here is another question, what does everyone think of the new monster 23" front tires, I've also seen a listing for a 26" tire for the fronts? I know this bike been posted before but it had a 23" dirtbike tire, now monster tires are coming out, I've seen a 20" fat rear. That dirt bike chopper from rumble customs was running one. Im thinking of building a custom spoked 23" for my next bike.

Attachments

#25 ·
I think there is a dirtbike or two out there with a 23" front wheel and Vee rubber is making a 23" street tire too. Roth used 26" Sulky wheels on the front of choppers around 1970. There was a tech article about it in Choppers Magazine. The 23" front wheel just exaggerates the big skinny front tire/fat(ish) rear tire look that the 21"/ 16" combination gives you. It would maintain that proportion if you ran a like an 18" x 5" rim in the back (the plan for the NEXT bike I build).

Oh yeah super fat rear tires. Seems to me it would make the bike understeer, which would send you wide on the turn, then you would brake and the bike would stand up and go straight. This scenario assumes that you have more $$$$$ than riding experience.

#26 ·
Abe_Lugo said:
ok everyone is going to bash the fat tire crowd. but here is another question, what does everyone think of the new monster 23" front tires, I've also seen a listing for a 26" tire for the fronts? I know this bike been posted before but it had a 23" dirtbike tire, now monster tires are coming out, I've seen a 20" fat rear. That dirt bike chopper from rumble customs was running one. Im thinking of building a custom spoked 23" for my next bike.
This guy bought his 23" front rim in Germany about 2 years ago (from a buddy of mine) and the only reason he is running that knobby off-road tire :)confused: ) on that picture is because at that time nobody was making a 23" street-use front tire...(now there is Avon with a 23" and of course Vee Rubber (Thailand) who came out with a 23" street tire many moons ago, and lately with a 26"...but that's another story...
(23" was used on Honda's 250-450 XR's in the late seventies..I got such a front wheel for $5.00 at a swap meet last month...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.