Jockey Journal Forum banner

Bicycle speedometer

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  jsaw 
#1 ·
My chopper is almost complete. Engine break-in will be critical, so I was going to add a bicycle speedometer just to keep track of the initial miles on the bike for that all important first oil change and adjustments.

Has anyone ever used one of those on a motorcycle before? Are they accurate enough? Will they handle 55-60 MPH?

#3 · (Edited)
Yes the bicycle speedo will work. You can dial it in to be very accurate. I've owned cateye and avocet, I don't recall they are lit, but mine are older, maybe they have lit ones by now. It's a hall-effect signal sender when a metal tablet passes the stationary sensor.

They have a two-digit speed readout, so you're good to 99 mph. I never had my bicycle above that, so I dunno about higher readings.:D

#4 ·
Yes the bicycle speedo will work. You can dial it in to be very accurate. I've owned cateye and avocet...
Thanks. I basically only need it for the break-in period. I want to know when 250 miles and 500 miles happen. After that I might take it off, unless it's working well and doesn't impact the looks.

The Catey velo 7 is only about $25. Worth a try. Worse case, I put it on my grandson's bike.

#5 ·
I would just do it by feel dude, 250/500 miles are completely arbitrary numbers. If you do the math, 3000 rpm for 500 miles is close to 2 million motor rotations.

3000 rotation per minute x 60mins= 180,000. At a cruise speed of 50mph it would take ten hours of riding to go 500 miles, thats 10 hours of 180,000 rotations, or 1,800,000 rotations of the motor. I have always been suspicious of it taking that much to mate some piston rings.

#6 ·
I am a non computer geek, and that includes the smart(dumb for me)phone, but a friend of mine who had a non speedo bike, with about two points left on his drivers license, used his phone. Not sure it it had a odometer though. Hell, everything is a app these days. I would bet there is one somewhere, and if you have the phone, most of the apps are free. Just thinking(being dumb again) it may be easier than spending cash, to take it off later.

#7 ·
I have had 2 sigma bicycle speedometers on my bike. The first one held up for over 25,000 miles. It registered 107 mph one time. The second one did not have as many bells and whistles as the first one, I did have to extend the wiring from the pick u p sensor to the unit, because bicycle forks are shorter than motorcycle forks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.