Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to run a clean front wheel and jocky shift. I like to ride fast and hot rod around town but I like to stop too :rolleyes: . What is the best set up for the rear brake on the 80 xs. It's a drumb brake now.... Thanks :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
2xcrash said:
I want to run a clean front wheel and jocky shift. I like to ride fast and hot rod around town but I like to stop too :rolleyes: . What is the best set up for the rear brake on the 80 xs. It's a drumb brake now.... Thanks :cool:
Later model yammy 650s had disc rears. I would shop the m/c salvages for one.

And dude, this is purely my opinion and I know that all the cool kids run with no front brake but if you like to go fast, put yourself a disc on the front too. You'll see front brakes on any bike I build because not only do I like to go out riding... I also like to COME HOME from riding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
Brakes are over rated,especially when ya got a clutch.LOL yes I agree front brakes are definte asset.This is my first bike with a spool wheel and rear drum brakes and it is definitely much different ridin one with no frt brake.You must always be payin attention when you ride but more than ever with no frt brake you need to really pay attention.Also if you lock up that rear and panic that bikes comin out from under you cause the nature of it would be for it to slide if its locked down.

Just a few things to ponder.Cant beat the look of the spoolie wheel but need to understand the limits and consequences of ridin with no frt brakes.
Shoe
BigDdy31 said:
Later model yammy 650s had disc rears. I would shop the m/c salvages for one.

And dude, this is purely my opinion and I know that all the cool kids run with no front brake but if you like to go fast, put yourself a disc on the front too. You'll see front brakes on any bike I build because not only do I like to go out riding... I also like to COME HOME from riding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
TRIUMPH TERROR said:
Cant beat the look of the spoolie wheel but need to understand the limits and consequences of ridin with no frt brakes.
Shoe
They do LOOK sexy as hell. I had a good friend in high school who rode a sporty with a spool and lived to tell about it (even as a teenager :eek: ) so I know it can be done successfully. I just don't want to be the one doing it. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
BigDdy31 said:
Later model yammy 650s had disc rears. I would shop the m/c salvages for one.
Here are some pics of what you're looking for:



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
If you are converting the bike to a rigid rear section (hardtail)...then go with a (fairly) late model Harley dual flange 40 spoke wheel and disc brake setup. It should be a fairly straight forward adaptation. You'll have to fab up a mount for the caliper, and maybe change to the factory HD style axle and adjusters.

There are shitloads of these wheels out there, and the brake caliper will probably be the only part that will be even remotely expensive. You also get good 16" tire selection and fairly easy sprocket size changes out of the swap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
If you really want to ride like a madman a front brake is a good idea,especially when you consider thefront/rear brake ratio of something like 60/40 or 70/30.
Even the best rear brake set-up only can lock-up the rear tire.Although I agree,a spool wheel looks best.
If you want to upgrade your bike with a disc brake set-up nonetheless,I'd suggest to look out for XS 360 and XS 400 wheels.The early versions even had wire wheels and the installation is pretty easy as most of the parts are the same within the XS models.Those wheels I'm talking about are 18",which I like but it's also no problem to lace a 16" rim and this stuff is available pretty cheap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great stuff, Thanks. I am going to hardtail the xs. Something I should have said at the begining :rolleyes: ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Be aware that Yamaha never made a spoke wheel with a disk brake on the rear for the XS 650. All the models with disks have the horribly ugly (in my opinion) mags.

Tackett
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top