Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, searched for a similar thread with no avail..Anyone have advice on replacing a patent plate...my thought were to drill out the existing rivets/pins and press in replacments..not sure if they will stay...anyone ever tapped this out and used a small screw?? Thanks... Matt

·
Registered
144 Posts
This is how I did mine. Probably isn't the right way but it worked.

Heat the cover up in an oven. You need to get it hot enough so the AL will expand away from the hammer screws. I know that part is right.

This is where there might be a better way. I then pryed mine off with a small jewlers screw driver. I figured if I scratched the cover, it wouldn't matter since it will be coverved back up anyways. This should pull the screws out a little bit.

Heat it back up, if it has cooled down. You should be able to then grab the heads of the hammer screws with a pair of pliers and pull them out. Remember to twist them as you pull.

To put it back on. Simply drive the screws back in with a hammer.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Oh yeah, you will screw up the patent plate doing it this way but they are only a couple of bucks. If you have the cool copper plates on the Pre-units, I would figure out another way first.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
one_bitter_dude said:
Oh yeah, you will screw up the patent plate doing it this way but they are only a couple of bucks. If you have the cool copper plates on the Pre-units, I would figure out another way first.
Well my cover has 1 screw out, the other two with the heads removed... so the 2 will need drilled out definately...ugh

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
got one and the screws on order.....do you guys just tap em in with a hammer??? That the only way I see to do it..just gotta be careful I guess.

·
Registered
144 Posts
mattyoung52683 said:
got one and the screws on order.....do you guys just tap em in with a hammer??? That the only way I see to do it..just gotta be careful I guess.
Yeah I just used a small hammer. they go in pretty easy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts