Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This CL450 I picked up, among other things, has a sticky clutch. If you pull in the lever, it doesn't disengage by itself. You've got to really work the rear wheel before it'll free up and turn okay. Let the lever out and pull it back in again and you're right back where you started.

I pulled off the rightside cover and checked it out quick last night. When you pull in the lever, all of the friction plates move as a unit. I carefully pried them all apart with a flathead - it didn't take much. The wheel turned nice and free. Let the lever out and pull it in again and the whole clutch pack moves outward as a unit again.

What's the best remedy? Pull it all apart and clean the piss out of it? Replace it?

Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Pull it apart and deglaze all the plates. Soak them in solvent and then lightly sand them with a sheet of sandpaper ontop of a sheet of glass in a circular fashion.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grit? 200?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I'd use 120 or thereabouts but have never done it on a Honda clutch. Done it on my Yamaha srx and lots of harleys. Main thing is to rough up the glazed surface a little. Don't overdo it. The solvent will just get the oil off. You have a wet clutch in the 450 (good bike) but there will still be glazed oil on the friction plates. It could possibly be the splines on the outer hub are grooved not letting the plates free up so watch for that but I doubt that.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
When I was a punk kid, I'd take the dry clutch out of the panhead and deglaze them right on a sidewalk. But I don't recommend that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts