Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont have a high performance bike or anything crazy, but it seems like chains run from $45 - $160 ... whats the big difference other than the ones that are chromed or colored or whatever...

just tryin to figure out before i buy one, now that im house riden for a lil while, and cant work on bike, its time to order parts..

also thinkin abnout gettin a new sprocket...

stock is 22 teeth... what do you guys think? 23 tooth?

how much will the sprocket effect RPMs and speed?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Going from 22 teeth to 23 teeth will decrease rpms at any given speed by: (22-23)/22))x100 = 4 1/2% therefore if you going at 3000 rpm at a certain speed now, you'll only be doing 2855 rpm when going to a 23 tooth. But your acceleration will not be quite as good. You should be able to buy a chain for about $25 or less. But the O-ring chains cost way more but last longer.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i cant find SHIT for $25............

where you guys shoppin? lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
i went from a 19 tooth to a 23 tooth on my '68---had to clearance the clutch cover for it to work---felt a little too tall , so i bought a 22 tooth & am happy with it. let's it relax a little a highway speeds without bogging it down too much at take off. check a store that sells dirt bikes for cheap chain or go to j&p cycles online--see link

http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=37102E0F-155F-4863-97EC-32D018BCD287

·
Registered
584 Posts
Even though the O-Ring chains are spendy they are well worth the cost. I get 20k-25k out of one and they require way less maintainance, are self lubed and streach very slowly. I run a 24t on the engine and a 25t on the trans. It's a very tall gear, gives me the take off potential of a dump truck but lets me run with the big dogs without killing the motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.