Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive spent som quality time with me new 76 Shovel.

And i have some questions?

What type of carburator was original on the 76 FL Shovel?

Some of my "expert" friends say the original carb is better than the S&S Super E that is on it now. And that carb was removed from a 1340cc engine, so i wonder if the jets are different for a 1200cc engine or is it only adjustments needed?

Are there any pics of unmolested 1976 FL7FLH bikes on the web?

This is what i brought home.

The oil lines seams to have seen better days, what type of lines should i get instead?

`
I hope the metal part holding the starter, was not made in the Harley factory, any ideas how it should look, or is this one ugly but better?

This is how it looks today, i guess some of you guys think it would have been the before pic ;-)

·
Premium Member
6,351 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I said to my wife id sell the roadster to finace the bike, but my son wanted to buy it with a discount, but he did not have the money so i had to keep it :)

But its not the real thing its a glassfibre body, with a Volvo Four cylinder engine.
But ive driven over 50 000miles in it over the years.

But i have Steel cars to, One 46 Deluxe coupe that i coown with my youngest son, and my own 33 standard roadster, Both have 59AB flatheads for motivation. And then i have a 56 VW vert project and a running Caddy Coupe deville 1956.

And now my dreams ar fullfilled with a Harley ;-)

I will look into the links thanks..

·
Banned
172 Posts
Some of my "expert" friends say...blah, blah, blah...
There is an old racing proverb... "Most experts AREN'T"

it is true in this case. The old bendix carbs were typical of AMF. They were on shovelheads because they were CHEAP.

The S&S E has a 38 MM venturi diameter...just exactly the right size for a 1200 CC engine. jetting will depend on cam, and exhaust as much as which engine it came off of. The port and valve size is actually a little too large for premium operation, on a shovel, so they require a little larger jets, then you would normally think that the displacement should call for

Yeah, I know I am going to piss off shovelhead fans by saying that there was a flaw in the design, and the port and valve size were too large, but I can live with that. Anyone who has ever used a flow bench to do a port/polish job on shovelheads knows that flow velocity is too slow. You can often gain more, by filling them in a little, and flattening out the bottom side of the exhaust

EDIT...forgot to mention that I might have an extra (original) starter tail bracket... The good news is that it is really not necessary, and was here more for looks then anything else

·
Registered
317 Posts
There is an old racing proverb... "Most experts AREN'T"

it is true in this case. The old bendix carbs were typical of AMF. They were on shovelheads because they were CHEAP.

The S&S E has a 38 MM venturi diameter...just exactly the right size for a 1200 CC engine. jetting will depend on cam, and exhaust as much as which engine it came off of. The port and valve size is actually a little too large for premium operation, on a shovel, so they require a little larger jets, then you would normally think that the displacement should call for

Yeah, I know I am going to piss off shovelhead fans by saying that there was a flaw in the design, and the port and valve size were too large, but I can live with that. Anyone who has ever used a flow bench to do a port/polish job on shovelheads knows that flow velocity is too slow. You can often gain more, by filling them in a little, and flattening out the bottom side of the exhaust

EDIT...forgot to mention that I might have an extra (original) starter tail bracket... The good news is that it is really not necessary, and was here more for looks then anything else
Right on. For so long now I have been telling so many that the key is velocity, not total flow. The too large ports on a shovel have been known for a long time. The awesome book "V-Twin Thunder!" describes it well on pages 4,5, and 6 as well as having some good diagrams on where to add metal to the ports.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
The original carburetor for your '76 was a Keihin. They used a butterfly style Keihin for a long time, but the particular one for your bike can be identified by the single cable reel on the side, just a pull. It was used '76 through early '78. Later models all had a pull cable and an idle (or return) cable. Blame government regulations. Those early models also had a larger accelerator pump reservoir, and a larger hole in the float bowl to refill it. They're the best of the butterfly Keihins to my mind. Lots of information available for tuning them.

The air cleaner for that was an oval type. The cover is the same as an evo Sportster, at least through '03. There are several versions of the backing plate for that cover/carb combination which get progressively more restrictive. The '76 was still the most open, and the good news is that with a little cutting and filing, you can turn one of the restrictive ones into an open one like was original to the '76.

·
Banned
172 Posts
Right on. For so long now I have been telling so many that the key is velocity, not total flow. The too large ports on a shovel have been known for a long time. The awesome book "V-Twin Thunder!" describes it well on pages 4,5, and 6 as well as having some good diagrams on where to add metal to the ports.
never read that..might have to order a copy

my opinion on the heads was based on setting up my own heads on a flow bench. I was fortunate enough to work in a machine shop with one (Jamora Racing) when I ws young and
dumb

and I thought harley was still using a bendix until 77... but I am just going from memory, so I cannot disagree with the post above, about the Mikuni/Keihin. I really am not worried enough about it to look it up.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I aint no expert but your cylinders have 9 fins alot like 1340 cylinders ,
1200 have 10 fins.
the B carb has same venturi and throat dimension as E carb but E is shorter = shortie

that kick cover has the filler plug at the same level as the level plug would usually be on the side, quite innovative = keep pouring till it pisses all over the place .
theres also a bolt where a stud usually is, maybe clearance thing going on

doesnt look like any oil coming out of the kick bushing

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
More on the original carburetor. The first pic shows an early Keihin on the left, with a later version on the right. You can see the single cable reel. You can also see the exposed air bleed screw on top near the rear. The fuel inlet is in the middle. The original had a plastic nozzle formed onto that brass tube. You don't see many 'cause they broke easily, especially after they got old and brittle from the heat. HD sells an all brass replacement.

The second pic just shows that the choke mechanism got more complex with the later carbs as well.

The last pic features an air cleaner cover, the least restrictive of the backing plates, and a couple air cleaner trim pieces. The ribbed trim was used '67-'75. The other one is from a '96 Sportster. The correct one for '76 and '77 has "1200" in raised outlined silver numbers on a black background. There is also one for 'early '78 that has "1200" on it, but it also says "Harley Davidson" above the 1200 and "cubic centimeters" below.

The 2 elements are K&N replacements. (Can't say enough good stuff about the K&Ns.) As the backing plates got more and more restrictive, the filter elements got wider, from 2 5/8" to 3" to 3 1/2". Shown are the narrowest and the widest. For best performance with that carb I run the least restrictive backing plate with the widest element., spacing the cover out accordingly. I also use a Ness Airmaster, a small velocity stack inside the a/c.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Easyriders had an article on modifying the original backing plate and it made a nice difference. Damn overreaching gov't making them try to keep the intake sound down. I love that sucking sound.
Believe the old coughing Keihin was original that year. I eventually put a Bendix adjustable main jet on my old 77 and what a difference! That was a long time ago and today most of the name brand aftermarket stuff is so good you cannot go wrong wtih an S&S, Bendix of a takeoff evo CV carb. I had a 76 with an old super E on it and that bike ran great.
Now about that buddy seat. You might have a different experience but I went from that seat to a pogo mounted solo and the handling improved 100%. With the buddy seat you ride so high up it changes the center of gravity and the bike handles like a shopping cart. The stock FX frame mounted seat on that bike was incredibly comfortable and versatile. It is a good two-up riding setup as well as solo.
Shovels are fantastic machines! I hope you put many happy miles on yours.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.