Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you guys ride a bmw? I was offered a trade for my truck on a 1981 r-65 with 30,000 orig miles, orig owner. I did a search for pics but didn tcome up one much. This wasnt exactly what i was looking for but I would love to get a running bike soon. Whatta ya think think a bike like this is worth?
wes

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
dont know value over there but over here they fetch about a grand

cracking bike - that is reaaaaaly low miles on a bmw engine too

had a couple of bmws - really liked them - just laid one up last winter for a rebuild [neglected and just ridden in the shit and salt - still kept going]

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
strip it down and kinda cafe it out, wont be breakin much, and you can get 100k out of it EASY... if your truck is worth around 1-2k i might trade... tradin is WAY better than sellin!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Wes, find out if it's a R65/5. If it is, its a good deal. Dude I work with has five Beemers,and loves 'em. He just picked up an R65/5, 1973 model and paid $2300 for it. Hope this helps. Oh yeah, he puts on about 30,000 a year on a Beemer.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I told him i was going ton eed to get some cash out of the deal, the truck im trading for is a 57 ford f100 with 78k orig miles. Just trying to figure out how much. I have always heard about these bikes running forever, just wondered what could be done with em.
wes

·
Registered
65 Posts
I ride a beemer:D Make it a cafe racer, they handle great and last forever. Do an ebay search on it to get the going price. BMW's hold a good resale. I'm looking for an older one to build a cafe out of. Mines a 96 and still going strong.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hi Wes, I buy and sell a lot of BMW...the R65 is normally the least valuable...2 grand would be the very most I would give him credit....not saying they arn't good bikes....

EldoMike

wes said:
How many of you guys ride a bmw? I was offered a trade for my truck on a 1981 r-65 with 30,000 orig miles, orig owner. I did a search for pics but didn tcome up one much. This wasnt exactly what i was looking for but I would love to get a running bike soon. Whatta ya think think a bike like this is worth?
wes

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the advice guys, anyone got any pics of cafe bikes built outta these?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just talked to that dude with the beemer, he says it has 3 thousand orig miles not 30 thousand,, thats hard to belive..., 3 people today emailed me about trading for bikes. finally!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Cool wes! I would hold out for something cooler then an R65 personally. Low milage or not, I've never been an air-head fan, but they definatley have a hardcore kult following and I respect that.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea i agree, so far the guys emailing me about trades havnt offered anything that im ready to jump on, on of em has a 85 honda interceptor, other one has some 90's crotch rocket, i wanna ride, but i migh as well wait till somthing i really want somes along, or get some good cash with one of these bikes, i just wanna ride!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
The R65 is a very different beast from the rest of the airheads. The bottom ends on most /5, /6, and /7 bikes are interchangeable. The R65 isn't. I think it and the R45 (pretty uncommon) share the same bottom end. The R65LS is one of my favorite bikes that I'll never get around to owning. Freakish, kind of like an early '80s Suzuki Katana. Oh yeah, good luck finding a decent BMW for a grand.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Katana and LS BMW were both designed by Hans Muth.........Im a Motorcyclle guy through and through, but i say hold on to the truck until something good comes along........in AUD theyre worth around 3G's........(same as ten yrs ago).

·
Registered
896 Posts
Cromagnum said:
Katana and LS BMW were both designed by Hans Muth.........Im a Motorcyclle guy through and through, but i say hold on to the truck until something good comes along........in AUD theyre worth around 3G's........(same as ten yrs ago).
I'd rather have 3k AUD dollars worth of australian bacon, vegimite, and Victoria Bitter and some change to go check out the 2 dollar peeps.

·
Registered
896 Posts
wes said:
Yea i agree, so far the guys emailing me about trades havnt offered anything that im ready to jump on, on of em has a 85 honda interceptor, other one has some 90's crotch rocket, i wanna ride, but i migh as well wait till somthing i really want somes along, or get some good cash with one of these bikes, i just wanna ride!
Ebay the truck and buy my BSA so I can rebuild my shovelhead :) I'm going to the swap meet in Long Beach at the end of the month. I'll probably pick up my bsa while I'm up there (it's at my dads in Orange County). It's an easy project. Just needs a few things, but it's got really low miles. 14,000 or something.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Voneville said:
Ebay the truck and buy my BSA so I can rebuild my shovelhead :) I'm going to the swap meet in Long Beach at the end of the month. I'll probably pick up my bsa while I'm up there (it's at my dads in Orange County). It's an easy project. Just needs a few things, but it's got really low miles. 14,000 or something.
tell me more about this man! shoot me a p.m.
wes

·
Registered
484 Posts
Bought an R65LS for my wife many years ago. She hated it (wanted an H-D), but it was a good machine. Biggest problem is they are down on power. Upside is, they might be the best handling airhead BMW ever made. Airheads run forever, and are easy to maintain. I'd guess an R65 would be worth $2500 tops in mint condition.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts