Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where the original bates seats were manufactured? I was given a seat and told it was a Bates from the 60's but it has a tag on it saying made in Italy.Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fouraceswes said:
The made in Italy sticker makes it ABSOLUTELY NOT a bates seat. maybe a Bates cover. The Italian made ones were commissioned by Dixie back in the early 70's. they are the first generation after Bates. Close but no cigar. Get your dough back if you paid a lot.
Thanx,I actually got it for free so no worries on the money part.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
epinut said:
Thanks! Do you know if they looked the same right from the start?
No, I had an early one a while back and foolishly sold it for about 70 bucks to someone on this board (real smart yea i know:confused:) but anyway it was a really early one. The difference between the early ones and the later ones is those early ones are freakin huge. Somewhere around `13 - 14 inch wide and if im not mistaken the color of the bates sticker changed a few times to. (yellow, white, etc)

·
Registered
726 Posts
yard man said:
No, I had an early one a while back and foolishly sold it for about 70 bucks to someone on this board (real smart yea i know:confused:) but anyway it was a really early one. The difference between the early ones and the later ones is those early ones are freakin huge. Somewhere around `13 - 14 inch wide and if im not mistaken the color of the bates sticker changed a few times to. (yellow, white, etc)
I think I have an old Bates, but not sure. It's stenciled on the bottom; sez Bates 7535 and the cover is held on with small screws and washers. Is this a good one?

·
Registered
636 Posts
yard man said:
Well I know they came in 3 sizes, 9", 10.5" & 13.5" I think. Please correct me if I'm wrong... And I do think the large ones was the first to go out of production, otherwise I don't know anything.

But I would like to know which years the various sizes were avaible, pleated ones, colors, ways to tell early ones from late etc... Please school me :)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
epinut said:
I would like to know which years the various sizes were avaible, pleated ones, colors, ways to tell early ones from late etc... Please school me :)
I think Irish Rich would probably be pretty knowledgeable on this subject, but a good way to tell an early one from the later that i know is , i think the later ones had a different way of attaching the leather to the pan then the earlier ones (not sure). and if you look at the labels on early ones they dont have the zip code of the factory because they were made before the post office started using zip codes. If im wrong let me know :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.