Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I haven't been here for a while since I have been tinkering with my Jap-bobber and chopper plus all kinds of other projects I side track into.

So what is re recommended way of posting pictures nowadays??

THE BUILD:

My wonderful wife surprised the hell out of me this past X-mas and gave me a 52 Speed Twin. At least that is what the papers say, its a complete bastard project and rough but I'm as happy as a pig in shit.
As soon as I find out how to post pictures I'll get on with this thread... and all the questions I'll be having..... first Brit bike build of my own.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That wife is a keeper ... and that sounds like a great project... Ill let someone else explain the picture loading to you since I see people here do it differently then I do.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I used to use photobucket...then they got greedy. Now I just use the "go advanced" button and upload photos that way.

·
Administrator
7,776 Posts
Re: Bastard Speed Twin buildhttps://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/hamb/editor/smilie.gi

If you're using a photo hosting site, then click on the Insert Image and enter the URL of your image. Use the Preview Post option to see if the photo(s) appear.

You can also upload by using the Attachments tab. Click on the Attachments tab, the one pictured below, the one with the drop down arrow.

Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 11.37.17 AM.jpg

This window will appear:

Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 11.37.33 AM.jpg

Upload your photos, close that window, then hit the Attachments tab, select your photo(s). They will not be images in your post, use the Preview Post option and then you'll see them.

I do not know about large size photos, so give it a try.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Guys,
Good to see you still here Goldie!
Yea I used photobuck to post picture here before but as Goldie mentions they got greedy and that was really detrimental to a lot of great and informative threads. Anyways I will find a photo hosting site and cross my fingers.
On the note of pictutres... Wade the pictures on your web site were very impressive!

L

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went in advanced mode to see how that works....

Here is what I stated with.... but different tank... original SpeedTwin.

1.jpg

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I decided to start with the motor and tranny to get that cost out of the way.
The transmission cases were a bit rough, needing some welding and machining. I had a good friend do the welding as I only have a DC TIG welder. All bearings and worn bits are replaced ect. now to get this thing back together.

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Nice
You do the contoured repairs by hand?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice
You do the contoured repairs by hand?
Hey Rich,
Thanks
Yes, filing, sanding and a light polish...but it will never match the chrome either way. Good enough for this project.

L

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
If memory serves, the '52 I rode (50 years ago) had a non-synchronized transmission. Is that amenable to upgrading without a great deal of work?

'Course, I'm not even sure that memory *does* serve.

Thanks for the schoolings.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello Ratso,

Good to see you still here as well.
To tell you the truth I do not know what yr the gearbox is... no numbers to check either as it has been chromed at some point. All I know is that it is for a rigid frame as they have slightly different mounting lugs on the cases ect.

L

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Here is where I am now....
I have had it apart and together a few times.... I'm pretty sure I have got it right.... time to button her up. I indexed it to 1st gear and seems to be OK. Any good way of checking operation while in the bench vice?

L

5.5.jpg

7.5.jpg

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright guys, I getting ready to button up the tranny, I need some help.....
What is the proper orientation of the kicker shaft return spring???. Anybody have one laying around they can take a picture of and post here? Just trying to avoid the ol' time consuming trial and error method.

Also.......... What is the correct preload of this spring.... 1 turn???

7.6.jpg

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I can't help with first hand knowledge of or pictures of your bike. But like any return spring, the eye of the spring goes in the direction of the gear moving to the parked position. The spring should be around or more than 1 turn tight.
More pic's and including gear in place on park stop. Also right hand side kicker or left?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Joe.... I'm good with spring direction and so on... just need to know the orientation to hook the spring on to the kicker shaft.
Its a right side kicker....
I'll figure it out... too bad the manual doesn't mention anything about this.

L

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
As it is in your picture, for right side, and around one turn tight.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK,

I got it figured out good enough... it seems like
there are different springs available for the kicker shaft... one with 5 windings and another with 6 windings.... here is a picture for future reference if any body is in the same situation.

7.7.jpg

all buttoned up....

7.9.jpg

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Time to dig into the motor...
don't look too bad

8.jpg

BUT.....

9.jpg
don't know how necessary these internal tabs are.... one was broken off and cleaned up some time in the past... the other I discovered broken now. should I chop off the one tab left so it doesn't brake off and make a mess of my cases?

10.1.jpg
This bike was run with a primary belt.... 30mm not leaving much crankshaft for the stator to be inserted on which is probably the cause of the key way tear.... I will have to tend to this before anything else... any tips.
Is there a different charging set up out there.... slimmer maybe... other than that the crank is good. The cylinders are 40 over and need to be bored. I may go with a 750 kit so leaving that alone for now.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts