Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
put some taller bars on this weekend and they are really comfortable but they dont have any knurling where the risers clamp down on them, as such they move back and forth alittle, what can I do to remedy that?? thanks-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
What caffeine said. May also put little punch marks on the risers (where the bars ride)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
If these are 7/8" bars you could bore out your risers to 1" and then use riser inserts. I'm pretty sure they are knurled both sides of the insert.
 

·
TI_Tuesday
Joined
·
1,444 Posts
Tom was telling me about a trick using the alum from a beer can. Cut a strip, wrap around bars where they clamp and lock it down. Might be worth a try. I've got plenty of cans if ya need some...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Ed said:
Tom was telling me about a trick using the alum from a beer can. Cut a strip, wrap around bars where they clamp and lock it down. Might be worth a try. I've got plenty of cans if ya need some...
I used that trick on my bmx when I was a kid. Worked fine for a while, but the aluminum wore out and the bars got loose.
But the bars on a bmx get jerked and pulled on alot more than a scoot so this might work for ya.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
i've never done it but i've always heard you could drill a small hole in the bars and one in the risers and use a small pin/dowel to keep them where you want them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
I do that to some of the risers I make if the customer tells me his bars have no knurling in em. I drill and tap for a 10-32 set screw and sharpen the end of the SS to almost a point the put it in the hole leaving a little of the point sticking out. Bars are usually fairly soft (compared to the set screw) so it gets a pretty good bite on em..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,194 Posts
Take a punch and hammer a lot of "dotted punches "around the risers area in the bar (or the risers), that's the only way it will work...inserting stuff will hold only for a while..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Dan said:
put some taller bars on this weekend and they are really comfortable but they dont have any knurling where the risers clamp down on them, as such they move back and forth alittle, what can I do to remedy that?? thanks-
I have heard alot of these before..

I have also heard about using a small peice of emory cloth or sandpaper around the bar area that is gettin clamped

never tried it though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
Dan said:
how do you sharpen the set screw? by hand with a file??
Nope, put an allen wrench in the end and then take it over to the grinder and grind an angle on it. Have lost a few of em, but at a few cents apiece, its not a biggy..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
justinNY said:
i've never done it but i've always heard you could drill a small hole in the bars and one in the risers and use a small pin/dowel to keep them where you want them.
THANKS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
guys just stop by your local machine shop-alot of them have hand held knurlers and could whip that out for a case a beer...at least around here that works...best wishes..-cheif:D
the hand held tool looks like a pipe cutter but actually cuts small lines (knurls) in the surface.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top