Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my tank down to bare steel, I like the look and was going to put some Gibbs, but I want to put add some gold leaf and pinstrip the tank. If I put on the Gibbs will I still be able to gold leaf it? Or should I just clear coat it, gold leaf it, clear coat again and then pinstrip over the clear coat.

Rob, I know you don't like fuckers to clear coat the pinstrip over it, that's not the plan on this project.

Should I even use Gibbs, or just clear coat the tank, I know the clear coat doesn't really work on bare steel. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
626 Posts
make sure there's NO rust on the thing.
wipe it down REAL good with lacquer thinner then prepsol or auto prep. make sure its CLEAN (no gibbs or anything else).

pinstripe it right on the bare metal (try not to touch it where you stripe, finger oils) then leaf it. cover the leaf with a brush over clear like frog juice. use a couple of coats.

then use your gibbs to keep the metal nice.

i'm doing the same on Gibby's tins in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
here is what i just did for someone on the board.....they had a dished indian larry tank,

i cleaned it really good with mineral spirits, he still wanted some surface rust on so i kept it on, but for the dished in sides, i sanded smooth, primered, and put a few coats of metallic gold laquer

then wetsanded, if your going to lay leaf, you CAN leaf over bare metal, but unless its as SMOOTH as a babys ass, and your using real leaf, ANY imperfection, grind mark, pretty much ANYTHING is going affect the look/lay of the leaf. so my suggestion is to paint then leaf over the paint somewhat like i did. even if its a small part/line

then i would clear over the leaf only with a brush...rolco sells a crystal clear just for that.....then GIBBS over everything, after pinstriping....

plus, if you "burn" through the leaf when you are turning it you cant tell nearly as much as if you went over bare metal, and i think its going to be easy to burn through something that isnt smooth as hell.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.