Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
You know it seems like alot of people are not feeling the fair east chops but personley iam feeling alot of ther shit!

Nice bike.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Who cares where they are the bikes are killer. Well most of em anyway. I really hope the guy on the bicycle cleared it or that its his bike in the 1st place.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I didn't really dig the whole gooseneck/ultra low front end deal too much...then, I saw the bikes in person when I was in Japan.
A lot of my Japanese NFK bretheren have some sick variations of what we in the West percieve as the "Far East Look".
There were sick ultra thin Frisco-esque "Tokyo Thug Style" rides.
There were the low, wide "Steam roller" style.
The Zero look.
By far, some of the sickest, and most bitchen shit was from Masa at "Four (speed corner)".
He had balls of steel, and pulled shit off that sounds weird, but looks killer. He did up an Indian four, had knucks galore, cool flatheads with subtle paint, bitchen pipes...all kinds of just insane, but tasteful shit...NUTS.
He even had a customer's Twin Cam looking like a dope retro factory racer...I was really impressed.
That, and he had the coolest bathroom I have ever seen.
So, there are a lot of diverse styles coming out of Japan...it's not all gooseneck shit...though once I did see a ultra low bike...it was pretty cool, and there are a lot of nice ways to do it.
I saw Max Shaaf's knuck recently, and that's his own way of doing a super low profile scoot, and I must say it looks really clean and unique.
All a matter of taste, but, I must say...my perspective is broadening.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I gotta' say that on my current build, I'm drawing major influence from Shinya at Zero, mixed with some Shix MC and also Brat Cycle, all Japan based builders. I also am throwing in some of my earliest David Mann memories as well as a bit of Frisco proper. Yep, an international mutt.

By the pic's of the Cool Breaker shows and the Norwegian Bike Fests, I really think the Japanese and the Scandanavians are light years ahead of the U.S. in regards to feeling it down to the bone.

Wonder how many "BIG DOG's" were sold in Japan last month?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jbfrmca said:
in this pic on the bike in the corner. why is there a seat spring on the handle bars? i can't really see it too good. do you think it's some kind of dampning device?
Don't have a clue...maybe it's some typical japanese styling gimmick.

I don't really care for the seat on this Knuckle but other than that it's pretty cool.Gotta love the Firestones...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's a blurry detail shot.All I know is I don't like it.The "speed-holed" Shovel therefore is hot,hot,hot...

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
The Japs are sometimes a pubic hair over the edge for me...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Danny F. said:
The Japs are sometimes a pubic hair over the edge for me...
I think its like anything else some people get it some don't, every culture has those of its own that take things too far. Look at some of the bike being turned out here just to be different.

Primo

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Primo said:
I think its like anything else some people get it some don't, every culture has those of its own that take things too far. Look at some of the bike being turned out here just to be different.

Primo
Got your point Primo, and believe me, as long as a bike is different I'm a fan !
But the slight exaggeration I sometimes see on these scoots using different styles wich are really not that new...they take a frisco style bike waaay up there, a digger style waaay down there, a badass upswept exhaust system waaay up there before being routed all over the bike...etc..Don't get me wrong here, I do like what they are doing, and they are bobber chopper and hotrod freaks for sure who knows what this kulture is all about but I think their anthusiasm is sometimes on the loose and that's what I notice on their bikes I guess...but hey, I had 2 bikes in a magazine article a few years ago and I named it "Back 2 Basics"..so who am I to judge these not so basic Jap style of bikes..Peace.

·
Tiny Member
1,453 Posts
This bike speaks to me...not because it was built in Japan, but because it was built from a bunch of ho-hum parts and turned out this rad. That, I think, is what the Japanese are often good at.

That said, they sometimes build complete shit abortions of bikes just like everyone else does.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Tony Bones said:
This bike speaks to me...not because it was built in Japan, but because it was built from a bunch of ho-hum parts and turned out this rad. That, I think, is what the Japanese are often good at.
agree

hey wasn't it you who posted those new Dynas and sportsters and such, all done up right by the Japanese?

if so, do you still have the link?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts