Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dad has an old 1949 craftsman model #1030103 stand up band saw. anyone know if i can just change the blade and it will be good for cutting metal? just cant find any info on the interwebz about it. right now its set up for wood.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Depends on how fast the blade runs. Metal blades run pretty slow. Our Marvel has a range from 50 to around 400 FPM if I remember correctly

Here is a handy chart:

http://www.freetechnicalcharts.com/media/Band_Saw_Blade_Speed_Chart.pdf

Wood cutting saws run in the 800-3000 fpm range

Depends on what you want to cut too. Sheet metal and Aluminum would probably be ok with some coolant. You'll have ragged edges on sheet metal though and it'll be louder than a thousand crotch rockets with no mufflers.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looking to mostly cut brackets so id say anything from about 1/8 to 1/4 steel. there is no motor on it now but we have like 50 motors that would fit. would horsepower matter or anything i should shoot for?

·
Registered
60 Posts
looking to mostly cut brackets so id say anything from about 1/8 to 1/4 steel. there is no motor on it now but we have like 50 motors that would fit. would horsepower matter or anything i should shoot for?
60 cycle AC makes motors run 1800 rpm at the shaft. You can do "anything" with a variety of belt pulleys. Does the old Craftsman have the two adjacent speed-control 'cones" of pulleys that you can change speed with? Between that chart that FearNo posted and a pencil & paper (I'm joking-- an electronic calculator) you can figure out the pulley ratios and get any speed you want. The bandsaw itself won't care what it's cutting if you set the other guides and the band tension to spec.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The best way to go is a Jack Shaft and different pulleys. If you search" wood to metal bandsaw conversion" on google there is a ton of info. I did that Mod. on mine and it works good.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I have similar old craftsmen bandsaw 36" belt I think? . It has the stock 5" drive pulley, I got a 10" I got from Tractor supply and some metal blades from Sears but still never installed the pulley. Thats the largest size V pulley i could find that would fit on that type of shaft and then just have to get a belt that fits from Napa or somewhere... I am curious to see if that will lower the rpm enough...

·
Registered
92 Posts
motor speed = 120(constant) X frequency / # of poles. still gotta figure the pulleys. if you do it let us know i see wood bansaws all the time for cheap. could prolly wire in a potentiometer for speed control

·
Registered
338 Posts
Did a quick search, there was A guy that used a motor from a treadmill.Also used the speed controller to adjust blade speed.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I tried the Treadmill motor before I did the Jack shaft and it wouldn't give me enough torque. I got all the pulleys I needed from Mastercarr. If you research making a jack shaft it's not hard and you can buy everything you need. Very little fab work.

Loffer I don't think that will lower the speed enough. I'm horrible with math, but there are ways to figure out exactly how fast.

·
Registered
234 Posts
So sounds like you can change the speed of the unit you have by utilizing a lower speed motor, different pulley(s), and/or ac motor speed control.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Home Shop Machinist magazine did an article on converting wood saws to metal. I would search their forum, I believe I saw the article posted on their. If not I could dig up the article and scan it for you.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I tried the Treadmill motor before I did the Jack shaft and it wouldn't give me enough torque. I got all the pulleys I needed from Mastercarr. If you research making a jack shaft it's not hard and you can buy everything you need. Very little fab work.

Loffer I don't think that will lower the speed enough. I'm horrible with math, but there are ways to figure out exactly how fast.[/QUOT
Depends on waht type of saw you have. Mine is geared down to begin withand coukdbt be more than 500 to 700 rpm to begin with its has 3 belts and a gearing system after the motor before the drive belt. I may not ever know cause I have a mac plasma cutter but I might still give it a shOt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
if i rember right the stepper motor web sight is bedair.com he did it on 9x20 lathe and someone said home shop machinist ive seen that and he is correct, if you just need to slow down blade just push harder lol.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Gearmotor. Can probably get one off craigslist or from surplus city for less than what the belts, bearings, shafts, hubs ,etc would cost.
gw

·
Registered
4 Posts
You need a speed reduction of 10 or 20. That's awkward to get with just the two pulleys, which is why many recommend a jackshaft so the reduction can be done in two stages.

Another alternative is to use a gear motor with gear reduction built in. One advantage is that speed reduction multiplies torque, so a smaller horsepower motor is sufficient. A lot of surplus gear motors available here:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/

Here is a conversion I did with a gear motor:

http://bullfire.net/Bandsaw/WP_Delta_Bandsaw.html

1 - 20 of 22 Posts