Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my 66 650 engine completely dismantled, except for the pesky outer race of the crank bearing. Last night I went after it with a propane torch and with 02 and map gas. No luck. I ran into my friend Basil, a local Triumph guru, at the store today and told him of my troubles. He said he used to throw the case into the oven at 350°, so after dinner I pre heated the oven and put the case in bearing side down, after 10 minutes we heard a crash as the Bearing race fell out on its own and hit the lower rack. Priceless! :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
you can also weld a bead on the inside of the race and it will fall out on its' own as well. Something I learned in an issue of THE HORSE a while back. works well for me with stubborn wheel bearing races.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey RetroRob,
I used to buy stuff at Basil's years ago. What's that dude doin now?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hey RetroRob,
I used to buy stuff at Basil's years ago. What's that dude doin now?
He lives across the street from me, pretty much out of the bike business, has a couple rental properties. Has a shit load of bike stuff in his garage, triumph, bsa and a lot of Norton, but its like pulling teeth to get him to sell you anything. :confused:
I saw an experimental 4 cylinder triumph engine he was playing with, basicly a V 4 1500 CC monster in one case. Also saw a Norton bolt on supercharger :eek:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Running a bead around the inside of the of the race is an old school trick used on heavy equipment for at least 40 years that I know of. Heat the case and freeze the race, samething. Trying to bust loose a frozen nut? Heat it, then shock it by dousing it with cold water. These tricks go back a long time, them old guys knew what they we're doin'

1 - 9 of 9 Posts