Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I guess this will be my other intro.

My pops got me into motorcycles and was always a do it on your own kinda guy. He's not into Harleys, but he did love ridin' dirtbikes. My dad got me my first dirtbike when I was 12 and I've been hooked since. He was in Africa for awhile during his stint with the Peace Corps, bikes were his only way to get around. If something broke, you better damn well figure out how to fix it, because any quality help would of been a whole continent away. My dad has always been working in fisheries and he taught people how to fishfarm over there. So I figured a fish inspired bike would be a way to pay homage to my pops, and no this won't be a gay OCC "theme" type bike either.

I Figured the name "Badfish" would add some character and life to the build, since Indian Larry's bike's always had some sort of name to them. I've gathered a few parts here and there, but first here is my inspiration for this build.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Got this old sporty tank from an pretty cool, much older, friend of mine. Got it for practically nothin'. Check out that paint haha. I started taking out a section from the bottom, gonna narrow and frisco it.

Started shaving the legs on this AWESOME front end I got from "Tattoo"

BDL Belt drive from "Larry Wasierski"

Shovel wheel I got from "Binky666", these guys are awesome, just goes to show there are some trustworthy people on here when it comes to buy/sell/trade.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Started gettin' to work, tank had some ugly dents.

I get to go hang out and work at a hot rod/speed shop in my free time. Just me and the owner there, who's an insanely cool old guy, and a master with metal. I would skip class during my senior year in high school to go work down there. At first I could only watch, but after awhile he let me start turning wrenches and doing other things. He let me use his hammers and dolly's this week and this is the best of what I could come up with. Not bad for my first time shaping metal, eh?

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK - you've got my interest. A tank and front forks may not sound like much but keep up the inspiration and the rest will come together. Those pans are great looking but see what comes down the road - you may be surprised at what you can find.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anything really, cone shovel with s&s p-heads, gen shovel, pan. Literally whatever deal comes up first. I'll probably end up getting a cone shovel though since that's most affordable.

I'm not worried about putting a cone shovel in an aftermarket frame and doing a special construction, because it would be temporary. Also I live in the sticks so I would just be riding on the empty roads around the farm. Just wanna build what I want for now and ride. Also since this won't be my only build, I could just try hardtailing (not myself) a titled frame later on, swap the shovel in and find a pre-69 motor for the wishbone frame.

i believe thats a star hub, i think it was a major score!
Yeah I figured it was a star hub obviously with the star being there hah, I'm just unsure of the year range, don't know if some star hubs are better than others

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Brog,
Ya might wanna do a search on Paugcho frames. Some come out straight as a arrow, some like mine....not so much. After fixing everything that was wrong, i could have had one build, cheaper.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks little D, I did some research on here a few months back. From what I gathered was some inconsistent info, either paughco made a great frame or it was junk, santee made a great frame or it was a piece a shit. I would just go with krafttech if they even made a wishbone

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally found one of those damn hubs I've been wanting, got it at the local "Hunt's Cycle Shack" for 10 bucks. Have no idea what year or what it came off of, all I know is I like it. Gonna lace it to a 21", might sell the star hub then

Still have to fill the holes, might find some aluminum bolts if even possible and weld them up, then lathe again

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Thanks little D, I did some research on here a few months back. From what I gathered was some inconsistent info, either paughco made a great frame or it was junk, santee made a great frame or it was a piece a shit. I would just go with krafttech if they even made a wishbone
The last krafttech frame that was in my shop a few months ago was not so straight either
I use paughco a lot when guys don't have the money for other options
I've never had a problem with them
If you need help with anything feel free to shoot me a pm on here

Best option for doing a cone shovel is to hardtail a titled frame much less of a headache and worth more when it's done

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I'm digging that paint on the tank.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
if you have access to a planishing hammer machine use it on the tank shell
especially where the flat spot is on the top of the tank
it really helps to smooth the metal and get a nice flow to the tank going on

I do it with just about every narrowed sporty tank that I build

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.