Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re-wiring my 72 650 and can't get the plugs to shoot a spark, start from the beginning to test where the power is/is not flowing. I'm getting full voltage everywhere except for the positive side of one of my coils (and as a result, the corresponding point is low as well).

The bike was re-wired by me, no crimp connections, 14ga wire, naked connectors, solder, and good heatshrink and I checked and rechecked the connections.

Removed the terminals off the coils and cleaned all the gunk off of them with light sand paper, a rag, and a good shot of WD40. Cleaned points off with some light sandpaper as well.

I have not checked the engine's timing in hopes that it is timed and would fire once it got spark and will do it of course, but I assume (and we know what that means) that even if the engine is not timed, I should still be getting a spark when I kick it over time and time again, right?

I've heard that these coils rarely go bad, and it's weird that only the Pos terminal on one coil is showing low or no volts, is this a sign of a bad coil? This just happens to be the coil getting power to it off the keyed switch, but when I move the 'hot' wire to the opposite coil, it still reads low/no volts on the pos terminal of that one.

Any help would be appreciated as I've been trying to start this girl for the last 3 weekends.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two 12v coils

1 - 3 of 3 Posts