Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After selling my Vulcan 800A in March I didn't think I'd be getting another bike for a couple of years. However, due to the travel requirements of my new job I've been burning a ton of gas getting to and from work every day. So, after chatting with Hightest in Edmonton a bit, I bought this off him. It's an '84 XS650. Should have it insured and registered tomorrow. Woohoo!!
(HT...the backrest didn't last very long...wife hated it! LOL)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anthem said:
Sweet! when you gunna hack that shit up?
Prolly gonna ride it like this for the next two summers. Next year I hope to build a small workshop in the back yard. Once that happens I'll start looking into chopping and cutting it up. :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
good to see it go to a good home, Al.

hell of a lot more fun than the civics i've been looking at all week.

now git choppin!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hightest said:
good to see it go to a good home, Al.

hell of a lot more fun than the civics i've been looking at all week.

now git choppin!
It was great to have a few hours to yap with you yesterday. I can't wait to see your Triumph project hit the road.

I'm just waiting for my insurance company to email me the pink card so I can get a plate for the bike. I want to spend an hour or two running around on it before heading to work at 2:30.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, went for my first good blast on the beast. Not bad...TONS of power. It seems to pull even better than my modified Vulcan 800 did! However, I've found one thing that will be changed asap. Seems like someone had flat-track plans for the bike at some time and replaced the stock 34-tooth rear sprocket with a 40-tooth. Holy shit does it buzz at 60 mph!! :eek:

I'll be going back to either a stock sprocket or a 32-tooth unit. I want this for cruising, not racing. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
My dad had one of those. Neat bike. I stole it one summer day and took it for a spin around the block when I was 15. All was good until I stepped off it in the driveway....................over the lowspot and I couldnt touch! Dumped the fucker and my 110 pound ass almost didnt get it lifted back up! Didnt scratch it, never told dad. I might just let him know now that I am 35!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Tman said:
Dumped the fucker and my 110 pound ass almost didnt get it lifted back up! Didnt scratch it, never told dad. I might just let him know now that I am 35!
I might still wait. At least until he breaks a hip and can't chase you.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hightest said:
that explains why i didn't have to use first gear all that much!

al, show 'em the picture of your old triumph
Yeah, it never occurred to me when I test rode it around the block. I never got it going fast enough to notice that it was revving really high. Not a big deal, sprockets are cheap. I may end up changing the bars back, too. I rode it to work and back today and my back got sore. :(

As for a pic of my Triumph...just follow this link to my website...pics of most of my old bikes are on it.
http://www.nucleus.com/~agingles/bikes.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts