Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after selling my 70 ironhead last year to buy my now fiance an engagement ring, I had the dreaded seller's remorse. Granted it was for a good cause, and also came with her "blessing" to buy a new one when I came across extra funds. Well I came across some extra funds, and picked up a beautiful 1972 ironhead hardtail chopper. It has just about every goodie you can get. Full rebuild from a very respected shop with every receipt you can think of for every little piece on the bike. Brand new front end, controls, pipes, s&s carb, etc...Even paper work for sand blasting the frame. The only thing it needs is a new ball and spring for the check valve in the oil pump and i think the vent to the oil bag may be blocked because it will build pressure in the tank and pop the cap off. The guy was in the middle of remodeling his house and needed money, so I picked it up for $2750. This is how I got it, any ideas or critisicm is welcome.

·
Registered
213 Posts
wow dude, you scored big time. i've said it before and i'll say it again why am i never around when there's deals like this. so what are your plans for it, keep it how it is? chop it a little or go for a radical change? either way it sounds like you have a reliable bike that should get you where you're going with little to no problems

·
Registered
805 Posts
Good deal. I kept seeing this bike on craigslist getting cheaper and cheaper. Hopefully it's a simple fix like you described. Not really my style (I'd probably go springer, mids, Wassell tank, king/ queen, sissy bar, etc), but it's definitely a clean bike. At the very least get a straight petcock. Good luck!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input so far, i feel it was a super deal. had my eye on it for months and no one scooped it up. it finally came down to a price i felt i could deal with. def a straight petcock is on order. its not my first choice in style, but i figured why not change it up a bit. i'm thinkin maybe new bars and coke bottle grips, either tall z's or buckhorn drag bars. I went over it pretty good before i threw the cash down. has 145 psi in both cylinders, oil is returning nicely to the tank, it is unbelievably clean.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
i would lose that seat amd front end
put a nice short front end on it and sell the one you got on there same with the seat
either way though still a good deal
best of luck with it

·
Registered
805 Posts
It's really not bad looking, just trying to look more modern than I like. It's so clean though. I know riding time is just about over (especially with the 12" of snow expected tonight WTF?!?), but maybe just do little changes here and there so it's never off the road? I could see some a couple of little things like a stock tank, different seat, and some different bars/ controls making a big difference in the look of the bike. Maybe some little riser-less rabbit ears/ 6 bend pullbacks?

And down the road if you wanted, I'm guessing that front end is worth some coin. Selling it could get you a springer (I know I'm projecting here), or another front end if you wanted to change it up. A front end swap is only a few hours work anyway.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Hatch, those are kind words coming from someone with as much love and experience for old sporties as you have.
I was thinking the same thing, it is trying to look too modern with that front end, its real nice and clean, but too new style. along with the seat, not a big fan of the flames matching the tank. but you gotta take what you can get. With winter looking like it's starting early this year ( i know i can't believe the snow we are supposed to get tonight!) i picked this bike up to tinker with over the winter and make it "mine" so it'll definately be ready to ride for the spring.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
SWEET. I too, have a love for the XL's. First "real" HD, was a 72 XLH. Ok, so my first one was a 69 Sprint, so you know how bad I wanted a HD as a kid. Mine was a basket, but only torn down for paint, so it was a reassembly. Yours, is a ride home bike, so you start out with a "brand new" bike, and no matter what you change, that motor and trans should give you years of reliable riding, if you treat it nice. Anyway, nice score. By the way, the only snow we have down here, we have to scrape off the freezer wall. Its just not the same though.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
+1 ^^^ I like it, but i would shorten the front tubes & use that frog tank as a anchor for my flats boat. fil it with concrete & throw it over board!!! Wassel it !!!
Sweet ride at a great price !!!SCORE

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
As it sits right now, I see absolutely nothing that needs changing. The bike had some thought put into it, and design wise, is a nice package. It's great to get something that was done right, and if you change it, it will be easy changes, to suit it to your own taste. Ride it, or change it, either way, you scored. I have seen plenty of 50k monstrosities, and this sporty would put em all to shame. Have a BALL!!!!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Thing about us is we arent totally happy to leave well enough alone,I can see you dropping another grand to get it just the way you want eventually,its always one more thing and it will be killer,a month later its yes I just want to do this and it will be done.Im the same way sometimes I wish I did'nt know how to wrench ,point is that bike is fine as is,well maybe get new bars ,or lose the pike nuts.really you got a good score just ride it

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys. The more I look at it the more i like it. The spiked nuts will be gone as soon as the new plain black ones arrive. The straight petcock with rerouted fuel line is next. Def new bars, prolly z's or rabbit ears (thanks for the ideas). Other then that, I feel real good about the price I paid and the next thing to do is try to hold out til riding season is here again.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Really tastefully done sporty and for under 3 grand, you STOLE that thing. I'd expect that to go for at least 4500-5k.

The only thing I see that looks wrong is with the exhaust: The lower pipe does not follow the lower frame tube under the engine cradle (it almost looks like it's got a slight upward bow in it). That just looks bad IMO. The exhaust also looks unfinished. I would either put some fish tail tips or nice mufflers on it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.