Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I believe the stock starhub sleeve is 5/8" ID. You don't want to go smaller than that unless you've got plans to insert another sleeve to decrease the ID of the sleeve that rides on the bearings.

NOTE: I'm assuming you are talking about running a bigtwin drum brake. If you are talking about a sportster drum, someone with knowlege about that setup will have to comment.

-Craig

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
The stock axle on a 45 solo with a drum brake is 3/8" in diameter. The "stack" of sleeves, bearing races, rockers, and spacers that it holds together is fairly beefy, and it's pretty short, too. The rockers on that springer run on the inside of the fork legs.

12mm is .473". (3/8" is .375") So I would say it depends a great deal on how beefy the "stack" of spacers and races is, and how much of the axle is unsupported between the fork and the wheel. 12 mm is definitely too small on a wide glide, or an OEM type springer with the rockers outside the fork legs.

What kind of fork are you using? And if the axle that should be in that fork is bigger, how do you plan to make the little axle fit in the big hole? There's a lot more to it than just axle size.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
no its for a custom application using a yamaha drum brake wheel that accepts a 12mm axle
Pauper, just did the same. I'm using a Suzuki front wheel that had a 12mm axle. I simply bought new bearings for it. I got the same OD with a 20MM ID and used the axle that I had with the front end. I got mine from Mcmaster carr but any bearing place should be able to help as well. I did have to bore out the brake plate hole of course. But I feel better with that axle in there.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the input guys, this is what i have done 41mm forks in 39mm trees, then bored out a narrow glide axle to accept the 12mm axle, then i cut out 3" of the narrow glide axle for the wheel so it became two big spacers that fit the forks with the 12mm axle running through the centre.
i have already ridden it this way for a couple hundred miles with no obvious problems but the other night for some reason i had a dream my axle snapped, so i just thought i had better get some input on the matter to put my mind at ease as i'd never really given it to much thought before.
i think tonight i will pull the axle out and check its straight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.