Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
when i traded my 04 fxd for this 74 shovel in its stock form straight up last summer i sorta regretted it. nothing against shovels but i am by no means an expert with the wrench nor a historian of all things old bike/chopper/bobber. i have a limited "skill" set and a budget to match.

so after my initial rides on the bike i ran into a snafu when the taillight fell off at 75mph on the hiway and destroyed the wiring and the rear fender.

so i plopped on a low brow tank and cut down the fender and called it good. at the same time i was flipping through tons of pics of shovels and i came across the garage Co "Astroglide". I had always intended to keep the shovel as a swingarm bike and when i saw the Astroglide i got my inspiration. i wanted a KQ seat and i dont want to copy their bike but its def been my main source of "damn thats fucking nice"-ness.

so here is my humble beginnings based on that killer bike. i hope it ends up half as sweet as theirs and if it does i'll be very stoked. i need to do up a set of pipes - not in any way like theirs - and i just ordered some new grips. need to rewire and clean everything up, get the fender powdered a slightly brighter purple than what the stock purple is. that should do it.

tank is from Dan "mroldbiker". its beautiful and i had to grab my nuts and cut off the stock tabs to make it fit. i dont love the front mount but for some reason i dont hate it either. hopefully once everything is sanded and painted it will clean up well.

·
Registered
223 Posts
It's a cool rider as is.....for some reason, it just seems to be asking for a nice 21" up front?! Keep at it! F-Winter!

·
Registered
78 Posts
thats the funkiest front tank mount i have ever seen.

Loose the side battery and go for a horseshoe oil bag and rigid rear

Butt thats what you were thinkin anyway

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol yea it put a 21 on it. i think it actually needs a little over extended front end. just a bit to kick it up.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Looks great... I would also like to see it with a 21" wheel in front. Gonna need to lose the "Astroglide" moniker due to the existing product reference (lol).

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol i didnt name mine "astroglide" - i was aying that the Garage Company bike named Astroglide was the one that inspired me. I was just trying to give them the props for what got me motivated.

i do have a 21 in front wheel on there now - the wheel in the pics is a 21. thats why i think a springer with a little over stock length might help lift the front end a bit. thanks for the compliments. i didnt expect to win any awards for being remarkably unique - just wanted something that was fun to ride and based off a bike i think is pretty damn cool.

·
Registered
210 Posts
thats the funkiest front tank mount i have ever seen.
That's F'n awesome! New from whamo, it's the Insta-Frisco!
no, seriously,really diggin it. great way to get the look without wreckin that bitchin paintjob. keep it up man

·
Registered
270 Posts
Needs a sissy bar behind the seat to finish it. Paint the tank mount so it will blend in with the frame. Looks good!

·
Registered
497 Posts
i really dig it,looking good. im with jtw on the sissy bar. i remember when people gave those seats away, now there sky high. i wish i could find one for my shovel.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
thanks all. i did paint the bracket and frame, rewired it all and added a horseshoe oi bag - and then traded it for cash and another shovel. a 78 with kick/elec start, 1 owner, built up to 86 cubes and sounds great. a very well taken care of bike. its both ugly yet very clean that i am really unsure what to do with it. i have a few more king queen seats and a few tanks/bars that i will try out. deliberating on a hardtail or not. heres the old bike and the new one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts