Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As usualI was in a rush to put my shovel tranny back in. I forgot to mount the chain before the primary cover. Had to feed it through. I forgot the locking tab on the clutch hub nut. Had to remove cluthc and do right. I forgot the starter plate thingyso I an removinf starter right now. Sorry had to vent on how bad I suck.

If anyone wants to share like stories I would fell less doucherific. But heah fuck it Atleast I made my own mistakes and caught them, Right.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I put my rear wheel on my CB 4 times and couldn't figure out why it was crooked until I saw the little spacer behind my foot.......

·
Registered
675 Posts
If it makes you feel any better i assembled my front end, put all the tins on, the lights , etc etc and then realized i didn't put any fork oil in.
dvanecek said:
As usualI was in a rush to put my shovel tranny back in. I forgot to mount the chain before the primary cover. Had to feed it through. I forgot the locking tab on the clutch hub nut. Had to remove cluthc and do right. I forgot the starter plate thingyso I an removinf starter right now. Sorry had to vent on how bad I suck.

If anyone wants to share like stories I would fell less doucherific. But heah fuck it Atleast I made my own mistakes and caught them, Right.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I put my xs 650 engine back in the frame after doing a head job on it. Hooked every thing back up and it started right away. Turned off the engine pushed the bike outside grabbed my helmet. Took it for a test ride. Got about 2 miles from the house and the bike started bucking and snorting and then dead stop. Turned the petcock to reserve and found that it was already there. Parkedthe bike and started walking home to get my truck and then it started to rain. Not such a good day. Gregg

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
dvanecek said:
HAHAHAHAHAHA! (just kiddin) I do this kind of crap all the time. EXHIBIT A: Changing the oil in my CB750 last weekend, dropped the fresh filter and the filter housing into the pan. Splashed gassy old oil everywhere, got the new filter dirty. Pulled it out, cleaned it up, wiped off my hands and dropped the bolt right back into the pan. EXHIBIT B: Pulled the front end to put in fresh fork seals and polish the lowers. I slipped both forks back in, put the fender back on, put the gaiters back on, tightened everything up, got ready to put the wheel back on and realized that the forks were on the wrong side! ARRRRGH! EXHIBIT C: I took a little ride this afternoon, went about a quarter mile and the bike died. WTF! It started so easily, what's the problem? Fiddled and tickled and kicked, finally pushed it back home. Got all the way to my alley when I started thinking "Is the petcock on STOP or RES?" Flipped the petcock, gave it a few kicks and it starts!!!!

When you figure out how stupid you just were, and you fix the problem do you ever look around to see if anyone else saw?

·
Registered
398 Posts
It all comes down when you get soo deep into some thing you forget the simple things and mind fuck yourself.

there has been times i have spent an hour trying to get a hard to reach bolt started after a long day and cant do it. Take a 5 minute break and walk away and come back and the bolt falls right into place doing the same thing you did for the past hour.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I borrowed my friends '60 BMW R60. His pride and joy. They have a key in the headlight that you pull up and down to turn off and on. Well I stopped at a friends house to shoot the shit. I go back to leave and end up kicking it till my fat ass is out of breath. I'm freaking out thinking I fucked something up. I leave on the bike to rest puting my hand on the headlight, and click. I started first kick once I turn the ignition on.

Dave

·
Registered
177 Posts
dvanecek said:
I borrowed my friends '60 BMW R60. His pride and joy. They have a key in the headlight that you pull up and down to turn off and on. Well I stopped at a friends house to shoot the shit. I go back to leave and end up kicking it till my fat ass is out of breath. I'm freaking out thinking I fucked something up. I leave on the bike to rest puting my hand on the headlight, and click. I started first kick once I turn the ignition on.

Yeah, that's a good one. How's this...Trying to balance both carbs on my '75 R75/6 beemer. It's a back and forth, pull the plug wires type job and there's about 4000 ways to do it. And it should take about 20 minutes. Well, everyone's got a tricky/easy/better way to do it. After trying all 4000 ways, the bike still idles like shit. I call all the guys for their advice. So I try all 4000 ways again. and again. and again. More phone calls to the BMW gurus. Nothing is working and I'm freaking cause this is usually a simple job. Eventually I start adjusting the valves. Ohhh, that really made it mad! Finally I give up and take it to the mechanic the day before THE BIG RIDE with the club. Welp, he starts into it and I figure I'll be there for about 15 minutes, he'll make fun of me for being a twerp, and my bike will be humming sweetly. 15 minutes go by. Half hour. He stops talking. Cussing. Cigarettes are smoked. More cussing. THEN HE BRINGS OUT THE COMPRESSION METER!!! Normal compression on those things is about 135-150 lbs. Right cylinder:137 lbs., cool Left cylinder? oh, about 27 fucking pounds!!! I fell on the floor, but I was relieved that I WASN'T CRAZY AFTER ALL! A case of beer and a new top end later, and I made it on the ride the next day! Go buy a compression meter, cause 30lbs and 200lbs feel the same on your calloused thumb! Also, Joshy at Moto Guzzi Classics rules. Thanks Joshy.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Slag Kustom said:
It all comes down when you get soo deep into some thing you forget the simple things and mind fuck yourself.

there has been times i have spent an hour trying to get a hard to reach bolt started after a long day and cant do it. Take a 5 minute break and walk away and come back and the bolt falls right into place doing the same thing you did for the past hour.
Yes, I highly advocate the 5 min break. Although it usually takes me hurting myself before I get up! Also, Anyone ever fall asleep under a car? Dude, so many times that's happened.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts