Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
While that might be a neat bike, there is literally zero chance it was arlen's second build. His first, second and third builds were all his same knucklehead. Depending on the year of that motor, I doubt it was even available when he did his second bike. I also don't know of a single non-harley ness bike (other than the new victory thingies).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah, zero chance that is Arlens secend build. It appears to have several of Arlens catalog parts on it, like the rear fender, but I have serious doubts Arlen had anything personally to do with it. It's just not that radical or personalized to be an Arlen original and Arlen never really fucked with Hondas at all.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I've got to agree that Arlen wouldn't build anything with struts on it, even if he built a 750.

And it seems like he really got into the Universal Engineering/Century Enterprises style Sportster deal right after the Knuckhead builds.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
He also did the yellow generator Shovel in the VL frame in that time period as well.

Arlen opened Arlen's Motorcycle Ness-sessities in San Leandro, right around the corner from Century Ent., officially in 1970. He didn't start making the Hardhead sections and parts for Hondas until way after that.

That bike is definately not Ness' second build.

While that might be a neat bike, there is literally zero chance it was arlen's second build. His first, second and third builds were all his same knucklehead. Depending on the year of that motor, I doubt it was even available when he did his second bike. I also don't know of a single non-harley ness bike (other than the new victory thingies).

·
Registered
935 Posts
the guy probably believed the facts he was given when he bought it,but I'm pretty sure that bike was owned by Evel Kneivel,it was the only chopper he owned,and the only bike he never made a jump on,that can be documented.I think,well you never know

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Danny,
I was sitting here and it hit me that a lot of bikes ran Ness hardheads with a swingarm (springs or struts), so I was gonna amend my post above.

Then I figured I was pretty safe on the no struts on a Honda (back end looks kinda like a bridge truss--or Sportster/FXR) until I looked at your post 90 above.

I guess I'll go sit in the corner now. :)
Larry T

·
Registered
2,888 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.