Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips on tightening up apes so they don't come back on you at high speeds with big potholes? It's happened twice and scared the crap outa me both times. I cranked on the risers, but it got me again today. Aluminum foil around the knurls or something? Anyone got a tip?

·
Registered
825 Posts
in Zenn and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, he uses a beer can shim.

·
Registered
825 Posts
shitbird said:
SO, you KNOW that dude was in and out of mental institutions while he wrote that book, right?
Yep, you can tell when you read the book.

AND he adjusts his chain WAY to often......and stretches it out as a result.....

Are you implying that a beer can does NOT make a good shim?!!? Damm now I need to tear my bike apart....shit shit shit.....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Blue Hoozie said:
Any tips on tightening up apes so they don't come back on you at high speeds with big potholes? It's happened twice and scared the crap outa me both times. I cranked on the risers, but it got me again today. Aluminum foil around the knurls or something? Anyone got a tip?
Here are some things I have heard over the past couple years. I run 12" apes and used to have the same probelms. I just use a torch wrench and set them at 22ft lbs. Also,, I heard emory paper cut into a 1"diameter..then wrap the section of bars where your risers are.

I think a set screw is the best way to go. Emory paper, Sand paper, and grip tape all wear down eventually.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
7,257 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Whwn you're pushing a 600 LB bike up a hill and the 12" bars roll forwards, it's very unsetteling. I'll have to try the punch method.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had my 18" apes (not knurled) powder coated black. They don't move. Always figured it must be the powder coating that grips. So I wonder, ever see that stuff that they sell in the Eastwood catalogs to dip you plier handles in, you know, the rubber coating? Why couldn't you brush it on where the risers clamp down, or something like that?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Boa said:
sorry in advance for maybe a dumb newbie question, but how does punching indents w/ a center punch around the surface create any more friction?
no dumb questions - just dumb people. sorry couldn't resist.

the dimples create a surface irregularity just like the knurling but way deeper in the center of the hole and way higher around the rim. the riser clamps and conforms to these irregularities like two gears meshing.

and now you know....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts