Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this ironhead I bought cheap and I am going to redo it. I threw the tank and stuff on for last summer and it's cool the way it is but I have some creative ideas for it. I was hoping they'd be some pix of people that took a bolt on hardtail and welded and smoothed it out. Let's see them

·
Registered
31 Posts
i don't know what you would gain...unless you took the bolt on completely off and got your self a weld on...a good one like Led Sleds, Kansas Kustoms, Hammer in Hand...that welds in in the back bone.....NOT a cheap ass VTwin..i have used the VTwin..but the others just look better IMO..I used the Kansas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've never welded one on, but I did cut one off like a dumbass... Looks like a call to Hammer in Hand in my future.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Thanks XsSpeed. I cut mine right around the height of where your chain passes the tube and slugged it there. You've got the machinery and the skills, so go for it.

·
Registered
805 Posts
XSSpeed, I had the same ugly bolt on and the same cast section on the frame, but we re-did the entire top tubes. MeanMike's looks great, same idea but the whole tubes. Here's 1/2 way through, we cut away a lot of the casting and made the tube touch in 2 places:

And finished with a plate and bent cross bar tacked in:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those two (yours and MeanMikes) are just what I was hoping for when I posted this thread! And to do one side at a time is a smart way to do it. I'm going to start on mine soon.

David, I always loved your loops sections. my flattracker has one that Brewdude did for me.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Those two (yours and MeanMikes) are just what I was hoping for when I posted this thread! And to do one side at a time is a smart way to do it. I'm going to start on mine soon.

David, I always loved your loops sections. my flattracker has one that Brewdude did for me.

wow. i like it. what is that tank from. thanks dave

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok I started yesterday.

First I took the seat and crap off to expose the hideousness

Then I took a rough measurement and made sure I added to it so my tubes would be plenty long

Then I ued an angle finder on my shovel frame to get the bend I wanted

Then I cut 2 30" pieces of 1" DOM tubing and drilled and tapped my welding table to make the jig.

Then I slowly heated and bent the tubes.

That's pretty much where I'm at now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.