Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Galaxie500XL said:
How the hell do you strip off chrome? What's the cheapest way, do you have to glass bead the shit off? I need to strip the chrome off my fork sliders (Triumph).

Any good chromers in the Austin area?
Are you gonna paint over it...or just want to get rid of it? If planning to paint just hit it with some sandpaper. To cleanly strip chrome you have to have it dipped at a chrome shop.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Galaxie500XL said:
I plan to rechrome them in the future, but I just want to remove the chrome it has. One of the legs is good, but the other one is peeling off and has a lot of rust.
If your gonna rechrome them...just leave it. When you get it dipped it will get all that crap off. But if you really want to hit it with some medium sand paper.

You may just want to buy a new fork.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Take it to a plating shop and have them reverse the process to get the chrome off. You will lose metal every time the piece goes in the plating bath.

There is at least one chrome shop in Austin but when I called them they said they didnt do aluminum. They might take the chrome off though. They are in the book.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would buy some new ones, but these are 67 Triumph sliders. I don't think they have repo. I would still need to find some used on ebay and they might still be like crap. Plus I need to get this thing running.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Muriatic acid will do it,but not eat too much steel.If you take them to a chrome shop they will reverse it and it will eat some metal off.You're only talking a couple .001's though----not like .080 or anything.I would look for a decent set for a week or two first.To polish and clear or paint,put them (lightly) between two centers (no chucks) in a lathe and sandpaper them.For a real cool,trick finish---hit them with a right angle die grinder with a 240 or 320 grit from one side to the other in a slow,constant motion.It looks pretty cool.See it mostly on competition/target gun barrels.

Jimmy D

·
Registered
294 Posts
Pain in the Ass!
On Shovel Boxs.
I Used a A-torch and heated surface.
Chrome will crack and heave some will pop off like tinny Zits. use eyewear!!
Later it's the Blast booth. Usually the heaved chrome will blast off clean. Repeat heat where needed and re blast. Later it's progressive sanding to get it bone clean. Works on the heafty Boxs!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Do a search. We've talked about this a few times and there is some GREAT info on here about how this should handled... you'll find that 99.99999% will tell you you're insane to try and manually take it off. I agree with letting the plating shop handle all the details and ultimately they will also be responsible for the final product as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts