Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was comtimplating the possibility of a 750 big bore kit on my 72 bonny. Any care to share experiences with these. I have seen them for around 600 for the total package. Is the money worth the power increase.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
$600.00 are you crazy I sell them for $450.00 . And yes they are a good deal . mainly because most triumphs you buy have a wore the fuck out top end . And since a piston and ring set is $200 then the bore on the 2 cylinders is about $150 or so depending on were you live . then the top end gasket set $30. Its worht the few extra pennies to make it a 750 on stock bore .

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think I would be ok using the stock heads, rockers and dual Amals? Anything I should plan on going with after the conversion? Thanks Trumpnutz, I will prolly buy from you then? This is my first build and am still figuring out where to buy all my need Triumph parts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Trumpnut said:
$600.00 are you crazy I sell them for $450.00 . And yes they are a good deal . mainly because most triumphs you buy have a wore the fuck out top end . And since a piston and ring set is $200 then the bore on the 2 cylinders is about $150 or so depending on were you live . then the top end gasket set $30. Its worht the few extra pennies to make it a 750 on stock bore .
Which bore kit do you sell?

·
Registered
146 Posts
mattyoung52683 said:
I was comtimplating the possibility of a 750 big bore kit on my 72 bonny. Any care to share experiences with these. I have seen them for around 600 for the total package. Is the money worth the power increase.
easy conversion
heres the only thing....
triumph didnt harden camshafts till 1970
most 750 kits including morgo do not have the direct oilway in the base of the cylinder to feed the tappets, so you need 70 or later cams
and blank off same oilway on the cases

600 is very steep

·
Registered
129 Posts
Trumpnut said:
I hate to revisit a post, but after doing a search, for Big Bore kits for the Triumphs, this is what i came up with.

Two questions:

Mattyyoung did you do it, was it worth it?

Trumpnut do you still have these kits for $450?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Yes I still have a few . They are english made and use stock Hepilite pistons for a 750 triumph . That way yuo can rebuild it when they wear out using OEM parts .
I really suck at updating my web site !!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Sounds like if you go with the big bore kit, you will need to change the cams=$$$$$$.

I'm going to have to rebuild my 67 bonny, I'm not sure about running with the 750 kit. I had spoken to Keith or Steve or at RPM Cycles and they mention to stay stock.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Galaxie500XL said:
Sounds like if you go with the big bore kit, you will need to change the cams=$$$$$$.

I'm going to have to rebuild my 67 bonny, I'm not sure about running with the 750 kit. I had spoken to Keith or Steve or at RPM Cycles and they mention to stay stock.
Well that throws a wrench into things (money wise), has anyone else heard of this?

·
Registered
146 Posts
there will be some that will debate the necessity of the oil feed to the exhaust tappets, but here is what i know

triumph first introduced the tappet feed in 66 to help prevent wear. there were a few different ways it was metered so not to starve the big ends, timed metering with flats in the tappet, or with a metering jet.
*reference oilway location #1 on the gasket in the pic

in late 69, they first started nitriding (hardening) cams, and it worked so well that they phased out the oilway in 80

so that pretty much sums up my take on it

make sure you blank off the oilway when you install, or it will leak at the base gasket

i have a 750 kit ONLY because i got it for $120 at a swap brand new

for the money, youd get more hp out of some aftermarket cams and headwork

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts