1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
like it says, i know its been done...

$5 at lowes / home depot...

might try it out on my bike., thought i would ask what guys thiought

LOTS cheapr and easier to get than straight across bars at the right length... ESPECIALLY in my neighborhood

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
i tried it on my Suzi, and i personally hated it. there was no leverage, but i was also running a SHORT bar. if i had to guess, i'd say that it was 14" from end to end. then again, if it was any longer, yer wrists would hate ya!

·
Registered
944 Posts
I did it today. I needed some drag bars for a project I had been playing around with....so to Lowes I went and picked up 26" of 1" OD tubing to make some broom stick style drags. Rode the bike around the block a couple of times....not much leverage with the fork combination I am running on this bike, but it put me in the wind for a few minutes.
Hank

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what fork combo you runnin?

i was thinkin of this on a 8 or so over girder front end, with about 6" risers...

is it just cause of the fact that you arent hovering over the risers???

i dont understand why the lack of leverage

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sure, many times. Make sure you use "Tubing", not pipe. Tubing is measured by O.D., pipe size is nominal and OD will be determined by the schedule.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so does everyone that does this feel a loss of leverage.???

bike is squirly for me already (first girder)... if im gonna feel even worse not sure i wanna do it

·
Registered
944 Posts
51rat said:
what fork combo you runnin?

i was thinkin of this on a 8 or so over girder front end, with about 6" risers...

is it just cause of the fact that you arent hovering over the risers???

i dont understand why the lack of leverage
Stock length Honda 750 forks with 19" wheel on a aftermarket rigid frame, don't know the rake....appears close to stock. Risers are extreme pull back and only leverage issue was during low speed turns and moving the bike in the garage. Tony is right, add a couple of moderage bends at the end and it should provide leverage. I will do this on these bars when I have time...my wife even noticed we need some pull back on the bars.
Hank

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
years ago I worked for a scrap metal recycling yard, one of their accounts was the Bayliner boat factory .. found out the stainless tubing leftovers they threw out from the bow railings was 7/8" ..

cut a piece about 2' & ran it for a long time on a girder on a raked Triumph .. no problems ..

now about your girder & "squirrelliness" .. you should start out checking your trail number ..

here's a good explanation of it, pay particular attention to the diagrams from fig. 5 on ..

http://www.chopperhandbook.com/neatstuff/rakeandtrail.htm

Good luck ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
trail is actually good, about 4.5", figured taht out befiore....

only thing is im not used to the squirleness of a girder...

then again, til tonight when i get home, ive only riden it on stripped risers (DID I JUST ADMIT TAHT???? !).. hahahha

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
o.................... and my lil 2.75/18 wheel in front isnt helpin much i dont think

1 - 11 of 11 Posts