Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I picked up an early wide glide with a 16" star hub wheel a while back.

Over the weekend I decided to pull it down and check everything was as it should be before I use the 16" on the rear of my bike. I never really examined the hub when i bought the front end as it had all been packed up in boxes. The hub is an absolute mess, it has what looks to be a home made bearing sleeve, someone has tried to turn down a section at the end of the spacer with a grinder, also has 2 Japanese taper roller bearings, a nachi and a koyo, one sketchy Gaco seal, one snap ring and the inner and outer star covers. That's it. Not sure how the bloke had ran this wheel like this, or if it ever was ran as he said.

The act hub itself doesn't seem too bad, the inner bearing races seem in runnable shape. What I am trying to figure out here is if this is one of the CCI hubs, a nostalgia cycle hub or someones home job. Judging by the spacer i'd say the person who set this hub up wouldn't have had the skills to machine the bearing recess to take the taper roller bearing so I'm assuming it has to be aftermarket. Why they didn't keep the existing components it would have come with is beyond me.

I can't find anything in the way of a parts diagram from CCI as to what parts one of these hubs should contain if it it indeed a CCI.

Is anyone able to identify who may have produced the hub and how I could go about sourcing parts needed. Photos below.

Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
https://www.throttleaddiction.com/star-hub-timken-style-bearings-chrome/

I converted mine to sealed ball bearrings with a spacer between them , never had any problems with that.
Ey Dutch,
Are you saying you converted a Timken to sealed or a standard harley star hub to sealed?

Would definitely be a better option that trying to figure out this business. What parts did you use in yours aside from the 2 bearings and the bearing spacer? Do you have part numbers? Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some more info to add here. Today I measured the OD of the existing bearing races after removing them from the hub. The larger end has a 47mm OD and the smaller 40mm OD.

The tapered rollers that came in the hub have a bore size of 17mm which will be too small for the 3/4" (19.05mm) axle on the rear of this bike.

Not sure the best way to set this up. As Dutch mentioned above I could run with sealed bearings however 40mm or 47mm OD with a 19.05mm bore is not that common. I could potentially use a 17x40x12 bearing on the small end and maybe 2 of the 17x47x14 bearings stacked together on the larger side but this will likely protrude too far out of the hub as the recess is roughly 25mm. 12mm width in this OD is not common. This approach would require me to turn down the axle to 17mm.

I know this seems like a lot of messing around for a janky repop hub but moneys tight over here and i'd rather try work with what i've got.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have used angular contact roller bearrings 3204 on my front hub , but i machined that hub from scratch , but i also converted a needle bearring starhub to rollers . I will check for the type numbers tonight. I used a sleeve/spacer that combined with the spacers on the outside will act as one shaft so using a 17mm shaft to just hold it all in position will not cause a really weak spot , the 47 and 44 mm dimensions are a good start.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
I can't read the numbers on the bearings you showed. If IIRC the stock axle measures .667" I found some Timkin bearings that measure .669 on the ID. But that's as far as I got. I think the hub will need bored on one side and sleeved on the brake side, but my lathe is down right so haven't gotten any further. But I do know that isn't CCI conversion. Also their axle is to fit an ID of .686 off the top of my head. You might try Saddlebagrail in Canada, he is on some of these forums, I think he does a conversion with ball bearings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dutch, that looks to be a good system to make sure it's all well supported.

I'd rather not have to mess with boring anything as my lathe skills are pretty average. What I'm wondering is if I can't just use a 17x40x12 sealed ball bearing for the small side, and a double row 17x47x22.2 for the large side and take up the extra space by adding a spacer on the larger side. That 17x40x12 will pretty much sit flush with the edge of the hub on the small side. This wouldn't be too dissimilar to most other hubs with a standard sealed ball on either side.

Can anyone see any issues with this approach? I'll have to skim a little off the axle to take it down to 17mm but thats not a big deal.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I checked it yesterday , it seems i put 2 bearrings on both side without the stepped spacer as I mentioned before but just a ‘normal’ one , the bore is 17 mm indeed. 6303 (17x47) and 6203 (17x40).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rad, thanks for the photos Dutch.

Did you end up machining the existing 47mm side deeper into the hub? The 17x47 bearings all seem to come with a 14mm width which means total would be 28mm. The recess on the large side for me is only 25mm. This could be because it appears to me an aftermarket hub of some sort. Considering running a single 17x40x12 on the small side which should sit flush and a double row bearing which is 17x47x22.2 on the large side, this will allow me to still fit an outer snap ring.

Can you recall Dutch how you handled the axle side of things with that setup? On the drum side of a stock hub the spacer slots inside the hub and spaces out the backing plate. Guessing along with machining my axle down slightly I am also going to have to cut the part of the spacer that sits inside the hub down length wise and also maybe turn it a little so it rides flush on the bearing inner race. Not sure if the stock setup with the spacer was meant to help balance the load or not?

·
Registered
162 Posts
2 times 6005 on the left is also a possibility (with a stepped spacer) , 1 bearring on the right is a bitt shy, if you have acces to a lathe you better mod that part of the hub.
The outer spacer need some modifications as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dutch, I've been considering what you said about 1 bearing on the right being a bit shy. Considering the CCI timken hubs and also modern hubs with sealed ball bearings only use 1 bearing per side. Wouldn't it be sufficient to just have the 1 on the right side? The left side will obviously have more pressure on it due to that being the side driving the wheel but the double on that side should handle it.

What do you think?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I dont think it is shy because it is only one bearing , the concern was more about the load it can handle , take a look at the attachment below (www.skf.com) these are specifications of your timken 30303 that was on the left side ( 17mm i.d. Already) . One single ball bearing will not come near those figures because of the smaller ball dimensions. The single ball bearing wheels you are refering to are a bit bigger in size.if you can find out that bearing number you can do the check on skf .
So machining that hub or just place new timkens are the 2 options you have ...both require a 17 mm axle anyway.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts