Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You know, the ones that "buy" the bike from you, register it in their state and "sell" it back to you so that you end up with a real title that you can use to register the bike in your state.

My little brother just bought a bike that didn't come with a title (1973 Honda). In NY we need titles to register. I had seen the Broadway Title company online and figured, what the hell, we'll use them.

Anyone ever deal with one of these companies? Anything to watch out for? One company better than another?

Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
i used broadway back in 98 to title my 72 honda & i got everything i needed for $100 & it only took a week. i took the paperwork right to NJ DMV & i walked out with a title, registration & a plate.

fast forward to current day. sent away for my paperwork for my 70 Triumph TR6C in mid may. just got all my paperwork about 2 weeks ago. yes, 4 months later. NJ no longer accepts paperwork from title agencies so i had to get everything in my friends name with his PA address. went to PA DMV & got ordered the title - supposed to take another 4 to 6 weeks. then once i have the PA title ill have my friend sign it over to me & ill be able to get my NJ title & registration. what a fuckin' pain in my ass. i will never buy a vehicle without a title again.

anyhow, im still happy with broadway. they told me that everything was backed up because of the DMV in alabama being all fucked. they were responsive & cool with me when i called to see what the hell was going on. plus, 8 years later - thier price was still the same.

i just wish i sent away for it when i started building my bike, not when i was finishing it. ive been riding it without a registration or tag for 3 months, although i do have insurance on it. the cops have been cool so far but im tired of worrying about it.

·
Registered
981 Posts
sojerscraper said:
fast forward to current day. sent away for my paperwork for my 70 Triumph TR6C in mid may. just got all my paperwork about 2 weeks ago. yes, 4 months later. NJ no longer accepts paperwork from title agencies so i had to get everything in my friends name with his PA address. went to PA DMV & got ordered the title - supposed to take another 4 to 6 weeks. then once i have the PA title ill have my friend sign it over to me & ill be able to get my NJ title & registration. what a fuckin' pain in my ass. i will never buy a vehicle without a title again.
thats good to know, cause thats what i need to do with my 72 yammy. man that sucks balls. well, i have a few friends in PA, maybe they can help me out. i fucking hate the dmv. i never had it easy with them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Knucklebuster,look up Ed Allyn in a Walnecks classified.If he is still selling parts usally in the British section.I think for $10 he would send the info on how to title your bike with no previous paperwork and he was in Woodstock,NY.It sounds like a "Statement of Facts"type of registration which in California is used for lost titles.However I have used International Title service in Nevada with no problems...The General

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Just remember they do not send you a "TITLE" They send you registration from a state that does not issue titles. I do not know if the title services do their homework on the old stolen records or not. California has started to look askance at Alabama registrations and begun sending people to Cal. Hiway Patrol for verification.

Just make sure you have good numbers and you are usually okay whatever paperwork you have.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys. It's good to know the procees usually works. I think we'll be okay. The bike was originally from New York, went to New Hampshire, then to Mass. and back home to us. I ran the VIN through all the respective DMV's and nobody had a record of it. I think we'll start on getting the paperwork now, since the bike came home in four boxes - it'll be a while before we need it.

Thanks!
Jay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts