Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is an old pic of my pops '42. It has a 45 cubic inch opposed engine in it. I think he said it was only made one year. He sold it in 1972 'cause a baby was on the way (ME).

Does anyone have any pics of these bikes? This is the only one I have of his old bike and is one of my favorites.

Thanks in advance guys!! :D

Josh

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
The bikes were made for the military. The springers were 1 1/2" (I think) longer than a standard Harley springer, because the bike was used off road and needed more ground clearance. Lots of folks wanted the springers for their early chops/fatbobs. I scored one for my Knucklehead in the late 60's. Sure wish I had the frontend, make that the whole bike, back.
Larry T

·
Registered
945 Posts
I used to know a guy who had one. Opposed twin about 25 hp and had both a foot shift and a hand shift. He didn't like springers, so he pulled the fork and repalced it with a glide. Indian also made a similar bike, but with a transverse V similar to a Guzzi. By the time the bikes were developed, the Jeep was the main vehicle for the Army and the government was no longer interested in shaft driven motorcycles.
Hank

·
Registered
503 Posts
Joshua said:
This is an old pic of my pops '42. It has a 45 cubic inch opposed engine in it. I think he said it was only made one year. He sold it in 1972 'cause a baby was on the way (ME).

Does anyone have any pics of these bikes? This is the only one I have of his old bike and is one of my favorites.

Josh

They were produced towards the end of WWII for use in Northern Africa.
Harley believed the design was better suited for the desert.
The war ended shortly thereafter and that was the end of that.
Ted

·
Registered
69 Posts
I saw one years ago in Switzerland of all places. It was complety done up as a period correct full dresser, similar to a standard 45. It was truely gorgeous!
Did HD ever make them as civilian models from the factory? Maybe with leftover parts after the war?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts