Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a bike shop today and seen some wheels completely powdercoated black. The rims, spoke, nipples and hubs all powdercoated. I was thinking of powdercoating my rims black since I already have a good 21' mini brake and a good 16" rear. The problem is they are both pitted and kinda ugly. Has anyone ever powdercoated an entire wheel. My spokes are all there and straight and the rims are straight. The only reason I would do this is to save alot of money on new spokes and nipples and the labor to have them laced. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
798 Posts
If you powdercoat the spokes, I think to many it looks cheap and like you didn't take the time to take apart the wheel to powder coat the rim and hub. All black it really doesn't do it for me
I pieced together my wheels so, at some point I had all the part ats the powder coater then bought stainless spokes when I afforded them. Also note that the practical reason people don't do this is because after so many miles you should check all your spokes, bent spoke, loose spokes. When you check them you'll get skratches and cracks real quick.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I powdercoated the rims on my evo chop gloss black and they look great. I have about 8,000 miles on the bike, have checked the spokes multiple times and they look tip motherfucking top.

I would have the wheels sandblasted prior to getting them coated, as the powder will not hide the pits, and the powder adheres to bare etched metal the best. I would make sure the wheels are trued, balanced and the spokes tightened as well prior to coating.

Luke Nosewalker said:
I was at a bike shop today and seen some wheels completely powdercoated black. The rims, spoke, nipples and hubs all powdercoated. I was thinking of powdercoating my rims black since I already have a good 21' mini brake and a good 16" rear. The problem is they are both pitted and kinda ugly. Has anyone ever powdercoated an entire wheel. My spokes are all there and straight and the rims are straight. The only reason I would do this is to save alot of money on new spokes and nipples and the labor to have them laced. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I concur with THE NUTZ. Have seen it done first hand and it came out great. As he said, have them blast the wheel. Make sure if it needs any truing you get it adjusted first.

It came out way better than we expected. It looks as if it was actually powdered individually and then put together.

Dont think it looks cheap at all.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Take it apart and do it right. Consider the fact that if you don't get some sort of coating on there soon to stop the pitting you will need a new rim someday. There is no way to powder coat one with out taking it apart. It think that spot where the spokes cross will be a problem. It's most likely needs a trueing anyway.tim

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Hey dude, ummmm. . . .you're wrong. Have you ever even tried it before?

What is it with all the armchair quarterbacks these days?

leadsled said:
There is no way to powder coat one with out taking it apart. It think that spot where the spokes cross will be a problem.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Personally, I would "do it the right way" but the question was asked by someone who is obviously on a budget (context clues). I usually make a habit of breaking my budgets, so I would probably just buy a whole new wheel and get the powdercoating done on which ever parts by the wheel builder prior to assembly... but that's me and MY scenario. I'm not going to sit here and sell someone that idea, who is hinting that he cant afford that route. It's obviously this way, or no way.

If I was on a budget, after seeing the results first hand, I would not even bat an eye at it. I'd get the whole wheel sprayed and enjoy the few extra beers w/ the cash in my pocket. ;)

It can be done and it can look very good. Just make sure your powdercoater didnt just get his Hot-Coat system on Sunday morning. :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Luke,

The "Right Way" is to do it all together. I had my wheels trued

and tight and then powder coated black all in one piece and they

look perfect. Rode them all summer this way no problems. They

look like they were done in seperate pieces. My powder coat guy

has been doing it for Years. Rob

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
satanherself said:
Perhaps anodizie it?
anodized aluminum wheels look kick ass.

if you are going for the monocolor look and trying to keep it inexpensive try rattle bombing the whole thing. it definatley wont be as durable as powder coat especially on the spokes but it will get you the look you are going for cheap.

chrome is the new black:D

·
Registered
87 Posts
scootermcrad said:
Has anyone powdercoated a complete wheel but left the nipples chrome? Anyone have a picture of this?
My spokes, hubs, rims were p/c'd before assembly and the nipples were left Stainless... 120 spoke radials though...

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
scootermcrad said:
Has anyone powdercoated a complete wheel but left the nipples chrome? Anyone have a picture of this?
Yes. Let me dig one up.

We have done wheels each different way. Powder coated the entire wheel(powder may crack at the crossing of the spokes though), unlaced and powder coated the rim and hub, powder coated the rim, hub and spokes and left the nipples chrome. You have to keep in mind the thickness of the powder on the hubs, if its too thick, the spokes wont fit through to relace. Out of all the options above, they ALL WORK.

-Jason

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'll right you got me I admit, I have no experience with powder coating an entire assembly. I am convinced it looks good. What do the components look like once disassembled? tim

·
Registered
53 Posts
ive done this with no problems, make sure its true before you powder as said there wont be any major adjustment after. and if your just buying time from what you truly want maybe powdered rims and hub and stainless spokes youve just saved yourself some money when they go out of true or youve got money for spokes, cut the spokes out and replace with your choice the powder is already done. i did this and it might not be show quality but the new spokes take the same place as the old and their is hardly any bare metal showing. but the only time ive striped a wheel was to replace the rim so atleast youv got your hub ready to go. cory

1 - 20 of 32 Posts