Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of cleaning up my entire engine and spraying the cases, head and rockers with duplicolor high heat cast alum grey and my jug with a semigloss black of the same brand. Anyone done this before. It's for a 650 trump motor. Trying to clean up the powerplant without completely tearing the engine apart. Thanks.

·
Registered
338 Posts
mattyoung52683 said:
I was thinking of cleaning up my entire engine and spraying the cases, head and rockers with duplicolor high heat cast alum grey and my jug with a semigloss black of the same brand. Anyone done this before. It's for a 650 trump motor. Trying to clean up the powerplant without completely tearing the engine apart. Thanks.
I've used this before with pretty good results...
http://www.seymourpaint.com/index.cfm/products/?id=121

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already have the rockers and head off the motor. I am just trying to avoid taking the jug off if I don't have to. This is my first build and my lack of experience has me worried about turning and ugly, good running motor into a pretty, not so good running engine. I'm pretty confident in my abilities but not sure I would do a good job of re-assembly with my trust haynes manual as my only guidance.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I would just use green Skotch-Brite on the whole thing, get it up on a table and try a spot or two underneath with a couple different pressures. I have seen a lot of spray painted motors and they always look like crap. First big oil accident or gasket failure and you got a big mess. And it is gonna leak

I would prefer a nice, clean patina to a spray job any day.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I used the Dupli color engine enamel on my cases (hell on everything) and it still looks like clean alluminum after 2 seasons. I did it with the cases apart tho...Just try to avoid brake clean or carb cleaner anywhere near it..

·
Registered
372 Posts
mattyoung52683 said:
I already have the rockers and head off the motor. I am just trying to avoid taking the jug off if I don't have to. This is my first build and my lack of experience has me worried about turning and ugly, good running motor into a pretty, not so good running engine. I'm pretty confident in my abilities but not sure I would do a good job of re-assembly with my trust haynes manual as my only guidance.
How about some more guidance? Pull the jugs, split the cases, and clean out the sludge trap.

http://triumphchoppers.com/gallery/album41

Failure to do so can and will result in this:

·
Registered
338 Posts
mattyoung52683 said:
Well I used some purple power and wire toothbrush and cleaned it up really nice this evening. Now I am thinking about polishing out the cases with progressively higher grit sandpaper. Any thoughts on that?
You gotta be a glutton for punishment if you're gonna polish your entire engine... It takes a long time, it's hell on your fingers, and to do it properly you want to split the cases.

It should look good when you're done, though.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I just finished Powder Coating my Pan!
real pain in the ass dirty job! and it's all new shit!
Took it a step below polish. Don't wantta go there!
Afterr all that work i debated paint but went powder.
Shop charged me $250,,,,,,,ya ok that would buy a shit load of rattle cans!:D

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
shook said:
I wouldn't consider a shortcut like that unless it was on an engine i'd rebuilt before, and knew the history of it. The sludge trap in the crank in my engine was so plugged up from sitting that I couldn't force a screwdriver thru the shit. Solvent won't remove that.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright. After everyones helpful advice I have decided,despite my lack of engine building experience, to split the cases and rebuild the whole engine top to bottom. Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess everyone has to start somewhere.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.