Jockey Journal Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone ever have this happen? Exile Sprotor

14K views 64 replies 31 participants last post by  Scorcher 
#1 ·
Was riding and sprotor just Blew apart. Best that i can tell. the caliper bracket is gone! Nothing their. everything was tight/straight and lined up. Locked my rear wheel up on the Highway and put me into a grass Median

See less See more
#4 ·
damn that sux hope your okay
I would call exile on Monday theyre pretty good about standing behind their stuff

#5 ·
Glad you are ok, It might be time to redesign it all. I always considered sprotors as kinda a show bike product, the downside to the design is all the heat that gets transferred into the chain when the brake is used regulary.

#7 ·
from the pics you posted, it doesent look like the sprotor blew apart. it looks like something starting rubbing on the sprotor, and finally got caught in one of the holes and locked it up. can you post a good side shot of the caliper and what's left of the mounting bracket.

#8 ·
Wow! Sucks about the part, but you are a lucky man.

There are gripes about Sprotor on other forums. I dont have any Sprotor experience, but here is a line from another chopper forum:

"" keep hearing people say that the cause/reason for exiles sprotor malfunctioning is that the sprocket is countersunk drilled for the bolts!? Some say that is the cause of the bolts reversing out of the hub and doing damage etc....?! ""

#12 ·
I've fixed a dozen Sprotor failures. I think the problem usually is b/c the fore and aft tugging on the bolts loosens them, though your's all look tight. It could be there was a strain on the bracket b/c of the anchor. If you adjust the chain w/o loosening and double checking the shimming of the anchor, it'll stress it out.

I even GREEN loctited one once (at a cust.'s request) and it still came loose. I'll never run one myself. Failure rate is ASTRONOMICAL, while conventional brake/sprockets just plain work! No brainer, IMO!

#14 ·
This looks very much like a sprotor bolt has backed out and done the damage.

I had the same issue, and your photo seems to show a bolt missing from the 4 o'clock position.

I can't say for yours, but mine worked just fine once I had replaced it and locktited the bolts. I do check them before each ride, as I do with most of my bolts.

FYI I have ridden my bike with the Exile sprotor in the Swiss 500 without any issues or fading. This is a 500 mile nonstop, 3pm - 3pm check pointed event (apart from petrol and drink/snack) that takes you from lakes to 6,000 ft up mountains and hairpin roads.

Is there a bolt missing from the sprotor. As mine backed out it started rubbing and wearing the 'brake rod' ie the bit connecting the sprotor to the axle. Fortunately I caught it before it did terminal damage, though I did have to replace it.

Peter

#15 ·
I just took a look at the photos I took after I discovered mine.

Unfortunately I am abroad with just an iPad so am trying to find a way of uploading the photos so you can see where mine did the damage. It looks to me like your failed in exactly the same place as mine started to wear away and suggests a bolt backing out and causing the damage rather than a product failure.

Just my 2 cents worth based on your photos.

Peter

#18 ·
thats looks sheared from a bolt I agree, it has a curved groove cut in it. Usually you hear some initial grinding when a bolt starts to back out. Had it happen on a v-twin sprotor, red locktited the sprocket bolts and never happened again with mucho miles and 130hp to the wheel. Its usually an assembly related problem and not the failure of the sprotors themselves.

#20 ·
I believe that using one disc as a sprocket and a rotor causes the bolts to come loose eventually, regardless of installation technique. With a conventional rotor or sprocket the bolts are pushed in one direction only. With sprotors, they get pushed one way for braking and the other way for drive through the sprocket. This is what causes EVERYONE who runs them to have them loosen up.

Now, you can double up on the loctite, chase and clean your threads, do what ever you want and all you've done is push it out further into the future, but it WILL come loose sometime. A standard rotor or sprocket can installed such that it will NEVER come loose, a sprotor cannot, IMO.

#25 ·
Engine braking would be about 1/100 the force seen from an actual brake, unless it was a meth head teenager TRYING to break something. Sprotors are like power,power,power, brake, brake, brake, repeat until the bolts come loose. Smart riders know that motors cost more than brake pads, and ride accordingly, anyway. When I "engine brake" it's because I am not going to slow down beyond the bottom of the gear I'm already in, and only need a tiny bit of slowing. I certainly don't haul my bike down from speed by slamming down through the gears!

#47 · (Edited)
Supermoto? Roadrace bike? MXer? Their sprockets take a pounding in both directions. You just have to keep a close eye on them. On the average street bike yes, but, sprotors aren't your average brake system either. I'm not defending them, the average street bike rider doesn't maintain their bike as religiously as someone who rides on a track, so apperantly there should be a huge disclaimer attached to them.

#27 ·
Mine only came loose on shakedown run after mochup ( no loctite). After full assembly it never did again. 130hp, 130mph and at least 6k or so.. The bike was run on the dragstrip a couple times. Every bolt was still locked in place under inspection before I sold it a couple months ago. Just to be fair, i replaced the button heads with 5 point grade 8 fasteners with crush washers ,red loctite. anything can be made to stay in place. Saftey wire even ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.