Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stripped my triumph down, to fix a few things on the frame that I didn't like. Plus it was bent in the front, I was going to straighten it and replace a couple of tubes. I built a jig and started planning what to do, I bent new tubes for the top of the hardtail ( Iwant it to look like its supposed to be there, not an afterthought). I was then looking at making new bottom tubes, so the front and rear of the frame flow together, that pretty much leaves me with three more tubes, two of which need to be replaced anyway. So I decided on building a complete frame, and using the old one for comparison. the only original parts I am planning on using is the neck and rear axle flanges. is this a bad idea? Has anyone else decided their frame is unsafe junk and rebuilt from the ground up?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The original frame didn't have a straight tube on it. Welding is not a problem, I'm icar certified for collision repair welding. It should definetly turn out cleaner and straighter than the original.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
770 Posts
B + M said:
The original frame didn't have a straight tube on it. Welding is not a problem, I'm icar certified for collision repair welding. It should definetly turn out cleaner and straighter than the original.
Damn, you should bend double goosekneck down tubes. That would be the cats ass, always wanted to see a low slung trump.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
884 Posts
B + M said:
I stripped my triumph down, to fix a few things on the frame that I didn't like. Plus it was bent in the front, I was going to straighten it and replace a couple of tubes. I built a jig and started planning what to do, I bent new tubes for the top of the hardtail ( Iwant it to look like its supposed to be there, not an afterthought). I was then looking at making new bottom tubes, so the front and rear of the frame flow together, that pretty much leaves me with three more tubes, two of which need to be replaced anyway. So I decided on building a complete frame, and using the old one for comparison. the only original parts I am planning on using is the neck and rear axle flanges. is this a bad idea? Has anyone else decided their frame is unsafe junk and rebuilt from the ground up?
chopperhandbook.com tons of info there. also click on the forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
tbone16 said:
Damn, you should bend double goosekneck down tubes. That would be the cats ass, always wanted to see a low slung trump.
Keep an eye out for my post in the next few weeks. I'm doing a single downtube gooseneck on a BSA frame to fit an AJS engine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
We now make every frame for our bikes in house. Jigs are good not only to help keep things straight, but nice to clamp it all together for a perfect fit. If your going to the trouble of bending tubes, I think you should put a new neck and rear dropouts on too....


-Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scorcher said:
We now make every frame for our bikes in house. Jigs are good not only to help keep things straight, but nice to clamp it all together for a perfect fit. If your going to the trouble of bending tubes, I think you should put a new neck and rear dropouts on too....

-Jason
I decided this morning that I would get new dropouts. I'm contemplating a new neck, but I'm worried about getting a title for this thing already, and the frame number is on the neck. I don't want to build it all and not be able to get it registered, but I also don't want to use the beat up neck that is on it. anybody know a good place to buy dropouts and a fairly inexpensive neck?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
B + M said:
I decided this morning that I would get new dropouts. I'm contemplating a new neck, but I'm worried about getting a title for this thing already, and the frame number is on the neck. I don't want to build it all and not be able to get it registered, but I also don't want to use the beat up neck that is on it. anybody know a good place to buy dropouts and a fairly inexpensive neck?
Take a look at Enco. They sell #stamping sets.....

-Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
My BSA had pretty much the same issues as your Trump.I had to cut off the old hardtail and bend up a new one.I thought $200 was a little much for an hours worth of work.Had to straighen the stock tubes too.I built my jig off the motor mounts.We actually have used this same jig in the pic for drag cars and pulling tractors----I just had to modify it a bit for the bike.Take LOTS of measurements to make sure it's correct.Go for it and good luck.Fuck,file is too big.I'll have to resize it.I'll send it tomorrow,I'm a little busy right now.Gotta get back at it.

Jimmy Diesel
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top