Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to do a frisco style tank on my scooter for max fuel/milage etc capacity/range. Like the angles do. Anybody here ever do one ?
Bob

·
6,351 Posts
Move the petcock to the back
Move the filler neck to the top
Cut out the high tunnel and make a low tunnel/flat bottom

get the angles right

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'm very interested in this. I'm not sure ANYONE here has EVER Frisco'd a sporty tank. I've never even seen them in any aftermarket catalogs, Ebay, or the Jock Shops here.

Wow

Sixball

·
4,033 Posts
I'm very interested in this. I'm not sure ANYONE here has EVER Frisco'd a sporty tank. I've never even seen them in any aftermarket catalogs, Ebay, or the Jock Shops here.

Wow

Sixball
The guy's looking for some advice on how to do it, dude, not how to buy it out of a catalog. Cool your jets. Realistically, he probably should empty tank/mock up/eyeball/mock up again/cut/weld, but we all need advice from time to time.

·
Registered
887 Posts
The guy's looking for some advice on how to do it, dude, not how to buy it out of a catalog. Cool your jets. Realistically, he probably should empty tank/mock up/eyeball/mock up again/cut/weld, but we all need advice from time to time.
Well if you have to ask, then the easiest way would be to buy it out of a catalog.

Or, you could take it to the next level, buy a frisco'd tank out of a catalog, cut a hole in the rear, buy a 3 inch bung, weld it in the hole. Cut a square around the filler neck, move it up where you want it, weld it in, cut the old bungs out, weld them shut pressure test and your done.

Or take a stock sporty tank cut the whole bottom off, make a new bottom with tabs, or bungs for mounts, buy mounts out of a catalog, weld them to your frame measure and re measure, tack, then drill your petcock hole, move your neck, weld it up, pressure test.

Or, look at the jock shops and buy one already done.

How does one awnser "Has anyone ever" ?

Yes, I have done it, and I have done the first option several times and welded the bung in and moved the neck.

Sixball

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'm working on a couple of peanut tanks for learning experience and when I cut up my king sporty tank It just looked wierd to me.but I don't know much and just starting to learn this shit.
Cutting it up for? Are you narrowing it? Or just cutting the bottom off?

Sixball

·
Registered
887 Posts
Just cutting them for experience...old beat up tanks I have.
I have three of them so I'm cutting the bottoms off and narrowing
Just a bit..this is my first attempt.
I've always had better luck narrowing the stock sporty tanks VS the king tanks. The king tanks have that weird flat spot around the filler neck that makes it tough. The King tanks do make good donors for cutting the filler neck out though. Narrowing the king tank obviously can be done, theres just more work involved getting thins to line up. You need to cut a panel out of the middle when narrowing and join the two remaing halves.

Sixball

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
a frisco tank modification is the following

1. Move the fuel outlet/petcock to the extreme back
2. Move the filler neck to the very top

these mods allow for max fuel capacity.

hells angles out of san francisco was the first guys to do it i knew of. my king tank is already molded in and its going to be a bummer to undo then redo it but thats what building a scooter is all about. here it is before starting

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
I helped Jugg frisco one for his Triumph rigid about 5 years ago . Great idea in theory but in practice it lasted 1 weekend away before he tore it off . That amount of fuel in a wide tank at an inclined angle sloshed around alot giving him several nasty tank slappers that nearly wiped him out . Adding a few baffle plates inside would fix that but he was completely put off by it .

·
Registered
561 Posts
I did not actually ever know what a frisco tank is. Now I do. Pretty cool. I had always called the tank on my 57 I had years ago Frisco'd. It wasnt. It was mounted on top of the frame, but it did not have the filler moved up, or the petcock moved back. It was a stock tank with the front mounts bolted through original top fatbob tank mount hole. Good Thread.
Mish

·
6,351 Posts
Meh, semantics. I think the tank above is definitely "Friscoe'd", the petcock/filler relocate is more of a "Full Monte" Frisco, that's all.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
that molded tank on that pan is fantastic, if it ain't broke don't frisco it, just git er done and let us see it

1 - 20 of 52 Posts