Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone know of a way to title a flyrite in California? No Emission sticker???
Are there any loop holes? The Nazi EPA regulations here in california are killing me! Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
i reg. my flyrite in ca. went with the spcn route because i built it myself. dmv cleared it first, chp checked the numbers and back to dmv for plates and sticker. i used a 8o in. h d evo motor and almost got it reg. as a h\d. also got insured thru aaa of so cal.(full coverage) all this was done in jan. 2006. i really think its where you take it in at because my buddys have not had the same luck as me. there was no talk at all about smog, one spcn. built per life , nothing.
must be luck!! love the scooter, wish the fuzz in huntington beach ca.did too!
c.c-huber said:
I'll let ya know!

·
Registered
789 Posts
B + M said:
If you find out can you let the rest of us ca guys know the answer?
I have the answer. I've registered an FRC roller with a 2000 Evo crate motor/tranny as well as a '96 Sportster motor in a custom frame with little headaches. here's how:

1) find a car registration service provider in your area. there's one in Temecula, CA, called CARS (California Auto Registration Service.) For a small fee (I think I paid $75) this company took my motor bill of sale, my frame MSO (manufacturer's statement of origin) and processed all paperwork required by DMV. when I returned to their office in three days I had a temporary operator's permit and written instructions and phone #'s needed to contact the CHP.
2) Re: CHP; when you are building a custom bike in California, you have to get CHP to do a title search on the motor and frame. I did it with my FRC bike loaded in the back of a truck. the cop on duty took photos of my motor and tranny #'s, the frame # and contacted H-D and Santee (the company that built my FRC roller chassis) to determine if anything was forged or stolen. four hours later, the cop signed off on the paperwork from DMV/CARS and it was back to CARS for final processing.
3) I paid taxes on my bike based on the stated value of the frame and motor (any value stated over $4,999.00 and special bonded paperwork may be required.)

Shockingly, no one at CHP gave a shit about my bike's lack of blinkers, mirrors, bitch pegs, mufflers, baffles, etc. Theft and forgery appears to be the cops' bigger concern.

There are undoubtedly jockey journalists who have different/worse stories than mine. I've only registered two bikes, and neither were that big of a nightmare. not as easy as registering a new car, mind you, but nothing good comes easy. hope this helps.

McGoo

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the spcn route seems like the way to go for this bike so it's off to the San Clemente DMV to see what happens. Thanks for all the help on this!

lowchief said:
i reg. my flyrite in ca. went with the spcn route because i built it myself. dmv cleared it first, chp checked the numbers and back to dmv for plates and sticker. i used a 8o in. h d evo motor and almost got it reg. as a h\d. also got insured thru aaa of so cal.(full coverage) all this was done in jan. 2006. i really think its where you take it in at because my buddys have not had the same luck as me. there was no talk at all about smog, one spcn. built per life , nothing.
must be luck!! love the scooter, wish the fuzz in huntington beach ca.did too!

·
Registered
798 Posts
a quick question, when you guys successfully registered your bike what it called "spcl contruction" on the title? I registered a Kraft Tech frame with an ultima motor in 2004, it says "2004 Kraft tech" on my registration. Is that weird?

·
Registered
98 Posts
The whole process depends on the CHP VIN officer. Some are pretty cool and will just verify MSO's against Frame, motor and tranny numbers, while others become over zealous and will hassle you about part compliance. The best way to get verification is to trailer or truck bike to CHP. If you go riding up they are going to scrutinize the build. I normally have the bike stripped of tailight, exhaust, battery and air cleaner. This will give you an opt. as to any questions they might throw at you about appropriate components. Have all your paperwork, be polite and do not offer more info then asked. I'm not sure if the DMV is aware, as of yet, about the "Once in a Lifetime" Spec. Construction policy. I have a friend who just registered his second build this year. As far as the Flyrite, I think they were working on their 50 state manufacturer's license. So you may be able to title it as a Flyrite by now.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Abe_Lugo said:
a quick question, when you guys successfully registered your bike what it called "spcl contruction" on the title? I registered a Kraft Tech frame with an ultima motor in 2004, it says "2004 Kraft tech" on my registration. Is that weird?
No its not weird. I titled a bike here with a Santee frame, it was a 2003 Santee straight leg( on the title). It usually depends if the serial # they use is 17 digits....kinda like proper vin.

-Jason

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got back from DMV and was told that I need to mount an odometer and get it verified by CHP or licensed Vehicle verifier. Then they will check the VIN and I should be able to get it titled...? The saga continues

B + M said:
If you find out can you let the rest of us ca guys know the answer?

·
Registered
26 Posts
The only way you need an odometer reading is if you are trying to register it as a used vehicle that has been registered in another state previously. You don't even need to bring the bike with you to DMV to start.

You pay DMV your registration and tax fees, and they will give you the instructions on how to contact CHP. CHP will only inspect for VIN compliance. They are not checking your brake and lights. That is not their purpose. Unless you ride it there, they have no reason to ask about lights, etc.

You then have to obtain a brake and light certificate. That can be done by any licensed motorcycle dealership that has a dealer number (any HD shop). If the shop doesn't have the form, you can use a "Statement of Facts" form from DMV and write on it that all required brake and lighting equipment is present and functioning.

Then you take your CHP VIN verification and the brake and light certificate back to DMV, and they'll give you your plates. If someone got a bike registered without the brake and light certificate, it was because DMV forgot.

If you go to a DMV, and they tell you something different, they are wrong. Unfortunately many DMV techs are ignorant of the process, so they give you bad info. You may have to go to a couple DMV offices before you get one that understands the process. Or, go to AAA or a registration service.

Good luck. It's not really too bad.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Man, i guess i lucked out registering my bike. I hear this shit and it makes me cringe. It's a harley, but with an S&S, no MSO, no blinkers. And it came from out of state. The chick who did the inspection had no clue what she was doing. She looked at the bike and said: "Is this a Corbin?"

I said, "No, thats just the tag on the seat."

Good luck man.

Silent Ed said:
The only way you need an odometer reading is if you are trying to register it as a used vehicle that has been registered in another state previously. You don't even need to bring the bike with you to DMV to start.

You pay DMV your registration and tax fees, and they will give you the instructions on how to contact CHP. CHP will only inspect for VIN compliance. They are not checking your brake and lights. That is not their purpose. Unless you ride it there, they have no reason to ask about lights, etc.

You then have to obtain a brake and light certificate. That can be done by any licensed motorcycle dealership that has a dealer number (any HD shop). If the shop doesn't have the form, you can use a "Statement of Facts" form from DMV and write on it that all required brake and lighting equipment is present and functioning.

Then you take your CHP VIN verification and the brake and light certificate back to DMV, and they'll give you your plates. If someone got a bike registered without the brake and light certificate, it was because DMV forgot.

If you go to a DMV, and they tell you something different, they are wrong. Unfortunately many DMV techs are ignorant of the process, so they give you bad info. You may have to go to a couple DMV offices before you get one that understands the process. Or, go to AAA or a registration service.

Good luck. It's not really too bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts