Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Been searchin for a nuff stuff to build one got a line workin now but i may have to sell everything I got to afford it.Also I am afraid I might get threatened by some vincent owners for destroyin the holy grail of motorbikes.Chop Chop Cut Cut as I say if you leave it stock you aint do nothin to improve on it.:eek: It probably wont pan out for me but I guess i can go on to plan B which would be a arial square 4 I know of and try to get that.
Shoe

1LowLeSabre said:
I love those bikes. I've seen a couple of them as bobbers. Just wondering if there was anyone here that even has one?

·
Registered
421 Posts
If anyone IS a Vincent owner, please list your complete address here and also the times that you are not home when it's dark. ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
BigDdy31 said:
If anyone IS a Vincent owner, please list your complete address here and also the times that you are not home when it's dark. ;)
Our mailman at the shop apparently has a black shadow. I need to see to believe.

·
Registered
421 Posts
CRAP said:
Our mailman at the shop apparently has a black shadow. I need to see to believe.
Yeah, I'd have to see a pic of him, the bike, and today's newspaper to believe that. :rolleyes: :D I've seen a couple of guys pay money that would have kept me in a house for the rest of my life for a VBS. Scary.

·
Registered
57 Posts
BigDdy31 said:
Yeah, I'd have to see a pic of him, the bike, and today's newspaper to believe that. :rolleyes: :D I've seen a couple of guys pay money that would have kept me in a house for the rest of my life for a VBS. Scary.
i haven't heard any news of it's progress but one of the guys at ******* Engineering in sc is chopping a vincent. it needed so much work he decided the shock value of a chopped vincent would be worth more than the $$$ to restore it. i used to see these guys on a regular basis as they all get tattoed at the shop i used to work at. i left there over a year ago and don't keep in touch to well. i need to ride down there on day to check it out...ken....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
luckystiff said:
i haven't heard any news of it's progress but one of the guys at ******* Engineering in sc is chopping a vincent. it needed so much work he decided the shock value of a chopped vincent would be worth more than the $$$ to restore it. i used to see these guys on a regular basis as they all get tattoed at the shop i used to work at. i left there over a year ago and don't keep in touch to well. i need to ride down there on day to check it out...ken....
I love this picture. Heres the story behind it.
http://www.myvincent.co.uk/rfree.php

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
a couple years back I almost had my grubby mits on a Norvin... (norton frame, vincent engine cafe racer) that some dude had inherited from his pops. the cat didnt know nuthin about it, I coulda had it for 5 large. Problem was, he went on vacation the day I found out about it, I was gonna get it when he got back. While on vacation he got to talking about it with someone and it went for 12k...

I was gonna keep the cafe chassis as was (all original, built in the early 60's). and build a chopper chassis for it - so I could make shirts that said "Choppahead... home of the Vincent Chopper' to wear to meets and shit.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Truth said:
I coulda had it for 5 large. Problem was, he went on vacation the day I found out about it, I was gonna get it when he got back. While on vacation he got to talking about it with someone and it went for 12k...
Man, it kills me to miss deals like that. I've missed a couple of sweet ones through the years and STILL kick myself over them.

That sounds like it would have been a sweet setup to turn into a Triton after you built the Vin chopper.

·
Registered
617 Posts
BigDdy31 said:
Man, it kills me to miss deals like that. I've missed a couple of sweet ones through the years and STILL kick myself over them.

That sounds like it would have been a sweet setup to turn into a Triton after you built the Vin chopper.
yeah I keep thinking i should have made him sell it to me that day, even though he was out the door! haahh

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Truth said:
a couple years back I almost had my grubby mits on a Norvin... (norton frame, vincent engine cafe racer) that some dude had inherited from his pops. the cat didnt know nuthin about it, I coulda had it for 5 large. Problem was, he went on vacation the day I found out about it, I was gonna get it when he got back. While on vacation he got to talking about it with someone and it went for 12k...
This one just sold for 30 large:

The guy who sold it is an attorney out of Austin named herb harris. He owns THE original Rollie Free/John Edgar Black Lightning, and since he's an attorney, he trademarked and copyrighted the famous bathing suit picture of his bike. Now 1Low owes him some money for posting that pic here. ;)

·
Registered
361 Posts
There's a guy here in town who has a nice unrestored vincent comet(the single cyl 500) which could be yours for the low low price of $10,000. Alittle steep for my blood but what a beautiful bike> I think The vbs is one of the coolest bikes ever built. The international vincent owners club had their annual rally in deerlodge mt last summer and i got a chance to see some truelly gorgeous bikes . It was neat to see them move and make noise instead of sitting in a static display. The real cool thing about that club is they ride the crap out of their bikes. When a Vincent twin is on the pipe it puts any product from the motor company to shame! It really sends chills down your spine. I got to ride with some guys in idaho on hwy 12(180miles of river canyon road). That had to been one of the highlights of my life. AS THEY SAY ''RIDE EM' DON'T HIDE EM' Gregg

·
Registered
82 Posts
A guy that used to live in my area had a Rapide, two Black Shadows, and a Black Lightning. That was back when they were not super stupid money. Don't know what ever happened to him, his initials were KH. A nice guy, but he always liked to say he offered me one of the Shadows and I didn't take it. Never happened, he wouldn't price it! This was maybe 20 years ago. I have had two Rudges, though, a Sport Special and an Ulster. The '39 Ulster was about as fast as a '39 Vincent, maybe even faster.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I met a guy named Jack 8 years ago. He was 50ish and I was 27. We became friends and we would talk about bikes and cars and shit and he would talk about all the old english iron he used to have. Well about 5 years ago he said he had only kept 1 bike. A Vincent Black Shadow with only 820 miles on it and he had in a storage facility a few towns over. Now we had hung out for 3 years and this is the first he mentions it. Well we go see it and yup there it is. A little dusty but pristine. I didn't ask a lot of questions cause he's a quiet type who's seen a lot of shit in the service and I figure if he wants to elaborate on things he will.

A few weeks later Jack says he's gonna sell it cause it is just time to move on. I knew I couldn't afford it so I just told him that the bike was worth a shitload of cash, at least 30K. A guy from england showed up with 35K in cash and Jack wheeled it out of storage, fired it up and took it for a rip on the storage facility and then gave the guys the keys. The funny thing is that Jack didn't need the money.

That's it.

We do get some Vincents at my place of business from time to time. Nice bikes.

Sean.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I was standing outside my work helping the diesel guy, who was somewhere around 50 years old, fill a 55 gallon drum for our generator. We got to talking motorcycles and he asked me about my RD350. "That your bike?" He went on to tell me how he loved his RD350 and RD400 2 strokes he used to own. I was like, "Cool!"

Then the conversation switched to other bikes and I mentioned how I have a hard-on for British bikes. "Oh yeh, I remember back in the late 70's and early 80's when I had money. I had 2 or 3 Norton Commandos. A BSA. And a real nice Vincent. All cafe'd out real nice." He went on to tell me about racing, and having to sell them because of his kids. I was like, "Holy Shit!"

I haven't seen him since.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I've been collecting parts for years . I have maybe 40% of a sinlge (500cc) engine the neck/oil tank of a HRD . And some clutch parts . But it gets better I have a deal in the works to recast the cases and cylinders heads and primary . The only problem is the guy is hesitant on tearing the engine down . He was planning on remanufacturing them for his rich buddies .
If you ever really want one you can find HRD's in New Zeland

·
Banned
648 Posts
Longwinded story #132.

So tonight I'm sitting around drinking whisky and helping my old friend work on his shovel, listening to him bitch about giving his tired old Bonnie to his useless brother, how much he loves my Triumph, blah, blah, blah. Then he tells me some dude he knows from work has a 1958-ish Vincent single lunger 500 just like he used to run on hill climbs back in the day. Says it "ran when parked" 15-20 years ago. Parked inside the garage all this time, but suspects dry rot on on tires and rubber items, etc, but that it is complete and stock. Dude wants $1500 for it. I come home to do a little research and now here's this thread... Probably bullshit, but I think I'll dig a little deeper and see what the real deal is...

-Bill

·
Registered
373 Posts
My Dad bought a fully restored '55 Black Shadow from a guy in England for $5000 back in 1977. The English guy actually flew over to Oregon when the bike arrived by ship and showed us how to start it (special tecnique)and all the little idiocyncracies they have. It was a very nice bike ,close to perfect. My Dad and I rode it a lot. I had a '72 Combat Norton at the time and it was a modern bike and the difference was night and day . The Vincent had a lot going for it however. For a 1955 it bike felt fast and powerful ( but it wasn't ,the Norton decimated it in every aspect) and it had oddles of charm and looked phenominal. One time when riding it on one of my favorite roads, I passed a car on a right hand corner at about 60 and as I pulled around and in front , still leaned over, I went through a freshly dug pot hole about an inch deep and 1 foot square ( I went back and looked at it later,some kind of test hole?) .It ripped the bars out of my hands and flopped the wheel full lock side to side ,howling the tire with great screaching gusto about four times. I thought I'm going down but it wobbled out of it and went straight. I grabbed the throttle and continued on from about 30. At the time I thought ,ill handling bitch !But the more I thought about it I tend to be less harsh on it. It was the only time I had any problem. I never really enjoyed it after that .
Dad sold it to the guy who asked for first dibs the first day it was at home ( for a healthy profit). I had my Vincent experience and I dont miss it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts