Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stripped phillips head screw on the timing cover of my 72 Triumph. I have tried putting as much pressure as I can against it with no luck so far. Anyone have any helpful tips besides drilling it out and using an extractor. That will be my last resort. Thanks

Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,257 Posts
mattyoung52683 said:
I have a stripped phillips head screw on the timing cover of my 72 Triumph. I have tried putting as much pressure as I can against it with no luck so far. Anyone have any helpful tips besides drilling it out and using an extractor. That will be my last resort. Thanks

Matt
a hand impact driver is the Only way to go re phillips screws stock on Brit or jap bikes .. for removal and installation ..

discount tool catalogs have them cheap, or try Sears or larger hardware chains ..

they usually come with 2 straight & 2 phillips bits, use the larger phillips & a big hammer ..

then, do yourself a favor & see an aftermarket Brit supplier for allen screw sets for all 3 of your covers ..

.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,065 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
798 Posts
i have also had better luck if you can get a small dremel cutting wheel in there and slot it so you can use a flathead impact to get it out....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,332 Posts
that tool is available at home depot or sears for about 20 bucks.
but ya have to use it rite. you cant just whale on it. ya gotta put a little pressure and twist on it with it set in the rite postition(loose or tite)

in a pinch sometimes this will wirk with just a phillips screw driver if you can soak it(the bolt) with some PBBlaster for a few hours or overnite. i little pressure on the screwdriver and a good rap with a hammer mite "shock" it loose. i'll usually only do this on a part in a junkyard i just wanna get home, but it does work sometimes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,332 Posts
Shooty said:
i have also had better luck if you can get a small dremel cutting wheel in there and slot it so you can use a flathead impact to get it out....
that would be the next step. or a large head flathead screwdriver with a hex pattern near the handle(like a mac or snap-on) so you can put a wrench on it to get some real torque out of it. or a craftsman that is square so you can put a vice-grip on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I have been soaking it in PB Blaster for a day or so. I am going to stop by home depot and try and find one of the impact screw driver. Allen head screw kits for all three covers are already on the way. Thanks again guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,737 Posts
Hell I was going to say drill it out, then you'll be able to grab the shaft of the screw with a pair of vise grips. Don;t forget you maight be dealing with a locktight on the threads, if so try heat from a propane torch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,944 Posts
Dragon said:
a hand impact driver is the Only way to go re phillips screws stock on Brit or jap bikes .. for removal and installation ..

discount tool catalogs have them cheap, or try Sears or larger hardware chains ..

they usually come with 2 straight & 2 phillips bits, use the larger phillips & a big hammer ..

then, do yourself a favor & see an aftermarket Brit supplier for allen screw sets for all 3 of your covers ..

.
I agree...one of the best tools ever for tore up and difficult screws of all types.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
450 Posts
I use to carve out a flathead out of a stripped philips by carefully tapping the sides with a sharpened flathead screwdriver on the ends of the philips head. After a while I was able to get my impact flathead driver on it and came off in seconds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
A few tricks for using the impact driver:

1. Before you put the bit into the driver, put the bit into the screw head and give it a good whack to seat it firmly.

2. You've stripped the shoulders on the left side of the screw trying to loosen it, but the right side is probably ok. so set the driver to TIGHTEN. Get some movement in there, let the PB Blaster soak in a little deeper, reverse the driver and back it out.

Try it out. You can probably salvage it without cutting or drilling. Next time don't even mess around with a screwdriver, just start with the impact driver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
In a pinch you can take a punch and smash the corners back in . Or I sometimes use a chisle and just catch the out side of the bolt . Then tap it out using the burr .

And on a 72 motor you don't need to go to a distributor to get a bolt kit . It take SAE 1/4 -20 bolts you can get in stainless at your local ACE hardware store .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,576 Posts
Left hand drill bits. No shit, start drilling and in a little bit it will grab the offending fastener and back it right out . Really slick! Got some off the Matco tool truck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
Matt find a Mac dealer and look for a damaged screw remover...it is part # P2019..it is a reversible drill bit made especially for phillips heads...I have only used this kit once but it did work...most times I just center punch the bolt or screw and drill it out...and if there is not enough pertruding to get a vise grips on it I cut it flush close as you can to the case and center punch it again drill it almost to the size of the threaded hole heat it with a torch let it cool then use a EZ out...and if you still can't get it out yet drill it out until it is almost into the threads and chase it out with a tap...there is no room there on a cam cover to slot the screw with a dremel unless you wanna cut up the cam cover...try the above before you use a dremel...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
If you have a Matco tool truck in your area you can get this stuff called grab-it. It is like an oil that has tiny flakes of metal in it. You put a few drops on the head of the stripped screw and it helps the screwdriver grip the screw. It says it increases grip up to 800% on the bottle. Well I don't know about 800% but I had some luck with it on screws that weren't totally stripped out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
well ......lots of ways to get the sob out .....oil\heat.....impact driver on it .......all this has been said ......when i have been real stuck on a bolt i have used a left handed drill bit ..or reverse drill bit ....works pretty good as you are drilling {backwards now} it grabs the bolt and turns it out ........works .......Later
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
DG ALLIN said:
If you have a Matco tool truck in your area you can get this stuff called grab-it. It is like an oil that has tiny flakes of metal in it. You put a few drops on the head of the stripped screw and it helps the screwdriver grip the screw. It says it increases grip up to 800% on the bottle. Well I don't know about 800% but I had some luck with it on screws that weren't totally stripped out.
i've never tried it, but i've been told that valve grinding compound will do the same thing...
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top