Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my disabilty keeps me from even thinking of riding two wheels again I have been thinking of building a trike. Any one do that any more? Any good sources for a start?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
God I love trikes!
It seems to me someone on here is building one.
A Triumph powered one maybe?
There's a guy in the shop behind where I work who's biulding a VW powered trike...I've been meaning to get back there and take some pics....one of these days.

·
Tiny Member
1,453 Posts
Do it man! My bike building mentor guy put together candy blue 45 trike w/ everything but the frame and tanks chromed or polished when he was 18. That thing ruled!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Richie said:
God I love trikes!
There's a guy in the shop behind where I work who's biulding a VW powered trike...I've been meaning to get back there and take some pics....one of these days.
My buddy, Sam Dakin of Turbo Sportster LSR fame has turned his daily driver into a chopper using a 4 link set up and a ford 9" rear.
awesome and easy project.
open front diff with bearings and seals inserted for the axle tubes to be lubed and the ring gear has the oil hioles welded up and zerk fittings installed for its bearings, then a gear to fit and blammo, 4 link rear. trike deluxe !:D

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have a bunch of old AWOL and Back Street Heroes magazines with trikes in them. Motorcycle, VW, Inline 4, and V-8 powered. These bikes were built in Great Britain for the most part and look way cooler than most (MOST not all) of the stuff kooks in the USA build. Way cooler than the trikes that show up at Gaytona and Sturgis. PM me if you want to take a look, borrow them....

·
Registered
338 Posts
Richie said:
God I love trikes!

Here is a pic of one. We rode it for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
ChopperMark said:
Somewhere there is a Roth VW kit trike in a barn just waiting for you to find it.
I spent about 3 years trying to find one . And last weekend I located a guy who worked for him back in the early 70's . He still had an untouched "hitlers revenge" body that I bought and He had a buddy who had a wrecked "tree viper" body . Both these guys were very interesting cats to say the least . So know i'm collecting parts to build my VW trike . Those ED Roth bodies are hard as hell to find !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Trumpnut said:
I spent about 3 years trying to find one . And last weekend I located a guy who worked for him back in the early 70's . He still had an untouched "hitlers revenge" body that I bought and He had a buddy who had a wrecked "tree viper" body . Both these guys were very interesting cats to say the least . So know i'm collecting parts to build my VW trike . Those ED Roth bodies are hard as hell to find !!!!!!!!
Its the way to go though. Put about ten lbs of metal flake on it with a nice 2117 with sum thumpin webbers. Just make sure it doesnt get lookin like a white trash scooter, do all the details right, cool switchs and no cracked fiberglass.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
tbone16 said:
Its the way to go though. Put about ten lbs of metal flake on it with a nice 2117 with sum thumpin webbers. Just make sure it doesnt get lookin like a white trash scooter, do all the details right, cool switchs and no cracked fiberglass.
Don't worry about that I'm anal about how things look !!LOL As long as they are not mine though :D

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
In the movie "Nashville" (1975) Jeff Golblum rode a VW powered trike if my memory is intact... I remember it had a high neck and a 30" over springer in it with short pullback bars... (I can't find any pics on the net.., it was all covered with white hairy furr for whatever "hippy" reasons (??) Something different than the low neck, short front ends on these nowadays VW trikes.. I would narrow the rear, lower the suspension and build whatever stretch and rake you want in the front section of an already completed cheap VW glass trike..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 20 of 53 Posts