Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a real nice spool wheel and I plan to run it on my 66 BSA.

I was hoping someone esle had done this with a stock set of forks. Is there any chance I can use the stock axle? I imagine I'd have to have some spacers made and perhaps change out the bearings in the wheel too...

I haven't taken the original wheel off the bike yet, I have a hard time parking it long enough to pull it apart!:D

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and one other thing...On the BSA's top triple tree there are a couple of threaded holes where the stock instrument cluster bolts up. Anybody know what size bolt fits in there off hand? I've tried SAE and metric stuff that I have around the shop, but nothing fits....I imagine it must be whitworth..

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so I just went out and pulled the bike apart. I'll just get someone to turn the stock spindle down so I can run standard sealed bearings and make some spacers...

·
Registered
896 Posts
I think you can convert the bearings in the wheel you can go to McMaster Carr. Just measure your stock axle width (which I can't remember at this time) and the ID of the wheel bearing races. It should be real cheap. I think this is what ScooterMcRad did on his triumph. Of course machining the axle may be the quicker approach if you know someone.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Voneville said:
I think you can convert the bearings in the wheel you can go to McMaster Carr. Just measure your stock axle width (which I can't remember at this time) and the ID of the wheel bearing races. It should be real cheap. I think this is what ScooterMcRad did on his triumph. Of course machining the axle may be the quicker approach if you know someone.
I was thinking that bearings might be the way to go, but the BSA has a stepped axle. There is a small end that threads into the lower right leg, then it steps up where it goes through the brake backing plate, and then steps up again in the middle, where it stays the same size on through to the left fork leg where it is held in place with a clamp.

I think it would jsut be easier to machine it all to one size save for the ends....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts