Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of running a HD 16" wheel with a single disk on the rear of my BSA when I hardtail it in the near future. I'm going to be running a spool wheel in the front, and the rear drum on the bike now barely stops the bike.

Am I right in assuming that a non-sporty wheel will work? i.e. chain on the left side of the bike, rotor on the right?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If you are going to run a stock-width rear section, it won't fit as-is. You would either have to run a sprocket brake or widen the rear section.

hudsoncustom said:
I'm thinking of running a HD 16" wheel with a single disk on the rear of my BSA when I hardtail it in the near future. I'm going to be running a spool wheel in the front, and the rear drum on the bike now barely stops the bike.

Am I right in assuming that a non-sporty wheel will work? i.e. chain on the left side of the bike, rotor on the right?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tha Nutz said:
If you are going to run a stock-width rear section, it won't fit as-is. You would either have to run a sprocket brake or widen the rear section.
Hmmm.... I guess making up any difference in width by making new spacers wouldn't work? Any idea how much of a difference in width there is?

I take it that with a sproket on one side and the rotor on the other, the wheel won't clear the chainstays, or is it more of a overall width at the axle area problem?

I'll be making my own hardtail using stock BSA dropouts and some spare chromo tubing....

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If you are making your own rear section, it should be no problem, just make the rear section wide enough to fit your set up and have the chain clear the wheel. Some guys using a stock rear section run the wheel offset a little to run the disc--I wouldn't do that, but many people do.

hudsoncustom said:
Hmmm.... I guess making up any difference in width by making new spacers wouldn't work? Any idea how much of a difference in width there is?

I take it that with a sproket on one side and the rotor on the other, the wheel won't clear the chainstays, or is it more of a overall width at the axle area problem?

I'll be making my own hardtail using stock BSA dropouts and some spare chromo tubing....

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Englishman said:
Don't forget the extra width of the hub will tend to offset the wheel off the centerline to get the driveline lined up.

It's WAY easier to use a post 1974 Triumph rear wheel (although they are a little tougher to run across).
See, now we're thinking! What a great idea! I actually want to run an 18" sheel on the back of the bike anyhow, figured I'd have to settle for a 16".

I guess any Disc braked rear british wheel would work with enough fiddling, right? hell I bet even some Jap bikes have something that might work!

Ah, inspiration, off to ebay to scour for a wheel!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts