Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any issues to deal with when using a BSA QD rear hub on an aftermarket hardtail? The way the axle is designed, I can't see how you could use spacers to move the wheel side to side for sprocket alignment. I don't have the hardtail yet and don't want to put any effort into restoring the QD hub if I'm better off using something else.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just used a QD hub on my sons A-65 that has a David Bird hardtail. What I did was use a spacer from an A-10 on the right side, I am not sure if the A-65 is the same length , then I used a set of Triumph wheel adjustors. They will be able to adjust the chain and keep the wheel centered. I had to modify the right side because the hole on the adjuster would not fit over the axle after I had removed the thick stock spacer from the A-65 set up. I also retained the speedo drive on the right. The wheel ended up perfectly centered in the hardtail. I will be installing the motor some time this week and I can let you know how the chain alignment ends up. Cheers

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
If the hardtail you're getting is made for the BSA, you shouldn't have any trouble at all...besides, if you are considering doing this sort of thing in the first place, then I'm pretty sure you probably have the know-how to be able to figure out how to surmount any obstacles you may encounter anyway.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Align the bit with the sprocket to the engine mounted in the frame first by making a spacer (ring) for that side only. Then put the whole thing in there and measure out the spacer for the other side.

That sprocket has to be aligned the right way to the engine, if the wheel is off center bummer, if it's not you have a nice frame.

And I see your problem if you need a long spacer you run out of thread. If that hapens it gets difficult you will have to mod the hardtail, move the engine or have special parts machined. It can be a pain to get the wheel and the engine in the middle but it is what you should aim for.

This thread maybe helps:
http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56783

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Align the bit with the sprocket to the engine mounted in the frame first by making a spacer (ring) for that side only. Then put the whole thing in there and measure out the spacer for the other side.

That sprocket has to be aligned the right way to the engine, if the wheel is off center bummer, if it's not you have a nice frame.QUOTE]

That's my concern, the way the sprocket/brake assembly mounts to the axle plate with the little stub axle that has the 3/4" flats that go into the 3/4" axle plate slot, you don't have much "spacerability" to work with to align the sprockets. Making spacers for the other side would be no problem.

If worse comes to worse, I've got a Triumph conical hub I could use, but I sure do like the look and function of the QD.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
This is my Triumph with a BSA QD hub.I measured up the spacings needed for the right side with out the speedo gear. then had my son turn some brass spacers.The right side is mounted aligned with the front sprocket. Pic #1, pic #2 is distance spacer.#3 is spacer in place of speedo gear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.